Free kick is the difference as Reds are undone at Stockport

COLNE V CONGLETON: Patrick O'Brien on the ball.'Photo Ben Parsons
COLNE V CONGLETON: Patrick O'Brien on the ball.'Photo Ben Parsons

In manager Steve Cunningham’s second away game, Colne suffered the same fate as at Ashton Athletic with a 1-0 defeat at Stockport Sports.

Stockport stated the brighter and dominated possession in the first 10 minutes.

After 12 minutes, Mark Coyne played Jason Hart in, but his shot was well held by the keeper.

Colne created a fine chance on 20 minutes when Paddy O’Brian slid a delightful ball to Coyne, but he was thwarted when he had the ball taken off his feet by the keeper as he bore down on goal.

The Reds created the next chance when, from an O’Brian free kick, Marc Young’s header was well held by the keeper at full stretch.

Stockport nearly took the lead when, after a right wing attack, a deflected shot was well held by the alert Chris Thompson.

As half-time approached, Chris Anderson played an incisive ball into the path of Hart, but his shot flew just past the post.

Stockport created the final chance of the half when a deep cross the back post saw a Callum Gardner header loop just over the bar.

O’Brian was again in the action when his in-swinging free kick saw Young’s header tipped round the post for a corner. However, Stockport took the lead when Colne conceded a free kick 25 yards from goal, and Alex Crowe took a long run up and blasted the ball through the Colne wall and past a startled Thompson.

Stockport’s confidence was now up and only a brilliant Thompson save prevented them taking a two-goal lead.

Stockport tried to slow the game down at every opportunity, but man of the match O’Brian came the closest to equalising on 84 minutes as a corner was played short, and he jinked his way into the area, only to see his angled shot hit the post with the keeper beaten. Colne, although they had a sustained spell of pressure, were unable to fashion another opportunity.

The Reds are at St Helens Town tomorrow.