Hart at double as Reds win derby thriller with Town

Jason Hart
Jason Hart
Share this article

The XLCR Stadium witnessed a six goal derby day thriller on Tuesday night, with the Reds coming out on top against a battling Barnoldswick.

Colne started on the front foot and after five minutes a ball through the defence released Jason Hart, who from the right of the area shot across the keeper only to see his shot whizz pass the post.

On 11 minutes the reds took the lead when Hart was brought down by the keeper as he ran onto another incisive ball by Joe Garvin. Hart dusted himself down and cooly slotted the ball into the bottom corner.

Then on 20 minutes, another Garvin through ball released Hart, who was brought down again by keeper Taylor and the referee pointed to the spot. Hart stepped up confidently to again slot the ball into the corner of the net.

Colne extended their lead on 35 minutes when a ball down the left was well chased by full back Chris Bailey, whose cross into the area was deflected by a defender to Danny Boyle, who gleefully scored at the back post.

Barnoldswick got a foothold in the game a minute before half time when a left wing cross from Neil Stansfield caused havoc in the Colne area.

Keeper Chris Thompson did well to save one effort with his feet only to see Matt Cavanagh stab the ball home after pinball in the six-yard box.

The visitors made a blistering start to the second half pinning the Reds back into their own half.

They pulled another goal back on 52 minutes when former Colne favourite Martin Broderick nearly broke the back of the net with a thunderbolt from just outside the area.

Colne managed to steady the ship on 60 minutes when they regained a two-goal advantage. Tom Berwick won the ball deep in defence and drove out to then hit a wonderful pass that allowed Boyle to side step Taylor and stroke the ball into the net.

On Saturday, the Reds, missing a number of key players, but drew 1-1 at Alsager Town .

Colne made a decent start and took the lead on 11 minutes when a ball over the top by Boyle saw Brandon Barski control and smash the ball into the bottom corner.

The Reds suffer a body blow in added time when a long ball into the area saw a mistimed tackle resulting in a penalty, converted by Jordon Elcock - who might earlier have been dismissed for a poor challenge.

Colne are back on the Wembley trail on Saturday at home to Northern League Penrith in the FA Vase, kick off 3 p.m.