Hart hat-trick as Colne reserves win at double

Jason Hart
Jason Hart

COLNE had no game over the week, but their reserve side picked up two wins, at Curzon Ashton and at home to Bootle.

The Reds hosted Bootle on Monday night, with the match going ahead after two pitch inspections and a great effort from groundsman Richard Harries.

Colne used the fixture to give a number of first team players game time, and they settled well.

After 18 minutes a great run down the right by Ben Hoskin resulted in a Jimmy Crorken shot being deflected for a corner.

For all Colne’s pressure, it was Bootle who took the lead when a ball into the area squirmed away from the keeper for the Bootle forward to react first and chip the ball in to the top corner.

Colne took the game to the visitors and a Jimmy Crorken shot was well saved by the keeper.

The Reds deservedly drew level just before half-time when Tom McDonough’s long ball saw Jason Hart challenge the keeper, and when the ball ran free he knocked it into the unguarded net.

Playing up the slope, Colne made a blistering start to the second half, taking the lead after 47 minutes.

A slick move down the right between Ben Hoskin and Micky Saunders saw the ball played across the six-yard box for Chris Bailey to hit the post, and the ball was returned into the area and half cleared by the defence, only for Bailey to hit a right-foot screamer from the edge of the area into the bottom right corner.

Six minutes later Colne made it 3-1 when a long ball from Luke McVarish out to the left wing was controlled in an instance by Hart, who volleyed the ball from 30 yards over the keeper and into the top of the net, a contender for goal of the season.

Hoskin and Saunders combined well again down the right, and Crorken’s shot from the edge of the area was well saved by the keeper.

After 75 minutes the Reds made the game safe when another ball from midfield by McVarish released Hart, who bamboozled the defence to slot the ball into the corner of the net.

Colne continued to press and substitute Michael Morrison’s rocket shot was again turned round the post by the keeper.

Further chances fell to Crorken and Saunders but manager Dixon Lambert was satisfied by the result and especially the second half performance.

The Reds take a break from Galaxy League action until January 3rd with an away fixture at AFC Fylde.


After a month-long layoff, Colne reserves got back into Galaxy League action with a Friday night win at high-riding Curzon Ashton.

Colne started quickly with the midfield trio of Morrison, McVarish and Woodvine taking control.

Great football by McVarish, Woodvine and Russell saw Chris Baron in on goal, only for him to shoot into the side netting, and the pace of Baron and Ellis up front proved a constant menace to the home defence.

Curzon then threatened but keeper Daniel Caton turned the free kick over the bar.

The last chance of the first half fell to Morrison, who headed a Rusty Russell corner wide.

The introduction of first team captain Dom Craig, returning from injury, inspired the Reds to up their game.

However Oates had to be alert to make smart saves from the tricky Curzon number seven.

On the hour Colne had the opportunity to take the lead when Chris Baron rounded the keeper, only to be brought down.

The resulting penalty, taken by the normally reliable McVarish, was dragged wide of the post.

Shortly after Colne were awarded their second penalty when Craig burst into the area from a Russell through ball and again was upended by the keeper.

The responsibility was left to the NWCFL’s leading scorer Hart, who again shot wide.

The back three of McDonough, Blacklock and Gibbons snuffed out the threat of a lively Curzon attack and Hart was causing the Curzon defence all sorts of problems with his incisive runs.

It was Hart who created the Colne winner after a great ball down the right by Ben Whittaker, as he cut into the area and squared the ball to the onrushing Craig, who lifted the ball over the keeper and into the net.

The Reds saw out the remaining 10 minutes without any real problems to round off a quality performance against really good Curzon team.