Hatrick for Lee in Barnoldswick Town victory

Kieran Lee
Kieran Lee
Share this article

Kieran Lee hit a hat-trick as Barnoldswick Town won 5-3 at Winsford United on Saturday.

But Town were left to rue a missed opportunity on Tuesday as they were knocked out of the West Riding County Cup at home to Albion Sports.

At Winsford, in a hail storm, the hosts went in front from an early corner, Michael Jones rising above four Town defenders to head past Lyle Davy.

Town equalised after 13 minutes, as a Neil Stansfield cross was only half cleared to the edge of the area, and player-boss Paul Fildes volleyed the ball back, dipping just under the crossbar, giving young keeper Joshua Clews no chance.

Winsford regained the lead after 36 minutes, as a Kieran Fletcher back pass was slowed down by the heavy pitch, coupled with Davy slipping on the wet turf, and Dominic Marie scored an easy goal.

Five minutes into the second half, Town levelled again, as Fildes picked up the ball on the edge of the area, and slipped the ball sideways into the path of Lee, who ran onto the ball and crashed a shot low down just inside the left hand post.

Fildes clipped the top of the bar shortly after, before, midway through the half, Town went in front for the first time.

A flowing passing move between Fildes, Sam Howell and substitute Aaron Hollindrake saw Lee crash the ball home for his second goal of the match.

Winsford equalised after 74 minutes, as a free kick from out wide saw Marie quickly onto the cross, heading past Davy into the far corner.

Goals were coming thick and fast as Lee turned provider five minutes later, raiding the flank before putting in a pinpoint cross to the far post, Hollindrake rising unchallenged to head home.

Lee completed his hat-trick when Howell fed sub Joel Melia, who in turn slipped the ball across the face of the goal where the unmarked Lee finished well.

However, on Tuesday night, Town bowed out of the cup, 2-1 at home to Albion Sports.

Albion started well, and it wasn’t a surprise when they took the lead after 18 minutes.

Former Morecambe man Lee Elan ran at the Town defence before slipping the ball through for Danny Pacey, who easily beat Davy.

Town equalised after 26 minutes, as a corner came in and as it ran loose, Fletcher stabbed it home from close in.

But with 14 minutes left, Pacey was pulled back by his arm just inside the penalty area by Fletcher, Albion captain Asif Hussain shooting the resultant penalty low to the left of Davy, giving him no chance.

Fletcher picked up a second yellow card for dissent with time running out as Town finished with 10 men.

Town are at home to AFC Liverpool today, kick-off 3 p.m.