Hollindrake strikes to earn boss Airdrie his first point

Aaron Hollindrake scored Town's goal against Abbey Hey
Aaron Hollindrake scored Town's goal against Abbey Hey
Share this article

Stewart Airdrie picked up his first point at the helm on Saturday in a 1-1 draw away at Abbey Hey.

Harry Thompson, Kieran lee, Chris Ridehalgh, Carl Ellerton, Shaun Airey and Joel Melia were all missing, but, on the positive side, he had new signing from Silsden, James Gill, who was on the bench, and Andy Lee back in the starting line-up.

Paul Drake was in goal for the injured Lyle Davy.

Tthe pitch looked and played very well, but there was a very strong wind blowing straight down the pitch, Town having it at their backs in the first half.

In the second minute, Lee curled a free kick just wide of the far post, and it was all Town in the opening minutes, Anthony Pollard doing well to set up Mark Threlfall, but his shot was wide of the post.

Shortly after, Lee’ shot was tipped round the post for a corner by keeper Jonathan Mcllwaine.

At the other end, Justin Pickering shot wide in the first real threat from the home team.

Town continued to press, and an Aaron Hollindrake cross found Samuel Howell just on the edge of the area, but his shot was deflected for another corner.

Matthew Cavanagh twice went close with headers, before, on the half hour mark, Abbey full back Liam Murray managed to get a shot away that was blocked, and the ball was played back across goal to Sam Jones, who slotted the ball past Drake.

Straight back down to the other end and Howell’s shot sailed over the bar.

Six minutes into the second half, Matthew Harrop was booked for an unsavoury challenge on Threlfall, when a red card look a possibility.

With the wind at their backs, Abbey began to press relentlessly forward, Justin Pickering forcing Drake into a good save 10 minutes in.

Town were giving as good as they got, and Threlfall rounded off a promising move with a fierce shot that McIlwaine, diving full length, tipped round the post.

Pickering was a constant threat with his jinking runs, and after the hour he went past three Town defenders before shooting over.

Two minutes later and Town were level, Threlfall took the full back on and went past him, and his cross along the six-yard line was missed by everyone except Hollindrake at the far post, who smashed a left foot shot low into the bottom left hand corner.

The match was fairly even after this equaliser, and the sides settled for a share of the spoils.

Town now have nine home games out of the last 12 matches, so will hope to move further up the table.

On Saturday they entertain Bootle (kick-off 3 p.m.).