Impressive away draw for Reds as Hart strikes

COLNE V CONGLETON: Jason Hart has his cross blocked.'Photo Ben Parsons
COLNE V CONGLETON: Jason Hart has his cross blocked.'Photo Ben Parsons
Share this article

After a month’s enforced break due to the poor weather, Colne took a point off in-form Glossop NE, who had won 11 of their last 12 league fixtures.

Both teams played cagily in the first few minutes with no chances of note.

Neil Stansfield, making a welcome return having signed from Barnoldwick over a month ago, raided down the right, cut infield and released Jason Hart on the left, but a heavy first touch saw the chance go begging.

Hart had the next opening on 20 minutes when another crossfield pass from the right saw his rising shot brilliantly tipped over by Glossop keeper Jones.

Colne remained on the front foot, and after a marauding run down the right by Adam Stockdale, he played the ball to the edge of the area for Jimmy Crorken, whose fierce shot was blocked by a Glossop defender, with appeals for a penalty waved away.

The Reds deservedly went ahead when a long ball to centre forward Nathan Bond was well held up, and his turn bamboozled the home defence , before he released Hart on the left, who bore down on goal and confidently finished via the inside of the far post.

The lead only lasted four minutes as the referee adjudged Marc Young to having handled in the area when he blocked a fierce shot at point blank range. The resultant penalty was confidently despatched by Sam Hare.

The first 20 minutes of the second half was dominated by both defences, and the first chance of note came in the 73rd minute when a teasing Crorken free kick just alluded the in-rushing Bond and was safely gathered by the keeper.

Glossop began to press for the winner, and only a great Thompson save prevented them taking the lead.

The Colne keeper proved why he is considered the best NWCFL keeper when a free kick was tipped over, as it dipped towards the top corner. A minute later he was called into action again, tipping over a fierce drive.

Colne’s chances of winning the game were dealt a blow when captain Young was shown a straight red card by the referee for a tackle.

Late on, the Reds had to dig in to repel the Glossop onslaught, but man of the man Johnny Hodgkinson and the rest of the team stood firm, much the delight of the noisy traveling Red Army.

The Reds hope to play their first home game in two months tomorrow against St Helens Town (kick-off 3 p.m.)