In-form Colne make it six straight league wins

Danny Boyle goes past a defender at St Helens Town
Danny Boyle goes past a defender at St Helens Town
Share this article

Colne earned their sixth-successive league win at Abbey Hey on Tuesday night to climb to sixth place in the NWC Premier Division.

Steve Cunningham’s men are now unbeaten in the league since December 6th, and have moved to within five points of fifth place Squires Gate with five games in hand.

Colne made it six points out of six in four days with a hard-fought 3-1 win at Abbey He.

The Reds punished their opponents with goals at critical times.

Colne started brightly and Spencer Jordan came close with a 25-yard dipping shot just over after 10 minutes.

Minutes later Kieran Demaine’s shot was blocked after good build-up play from Chris Anderson and Joe Garvin.

But Abbey Hey came more into the game and the tricky runs of Justin Pickering frequently caused the Reds defence problems, with Alex Coleman and Ed Williams producing some vital tackles.

On the half hour, Anderson released Danny Boyle into the area but his shot was blocked by the keeper’s legs.

But Colne won a free kick a minute before the break and Garvin found the net with a 25-yard curler just inside the far post.

As the second half began, Abbey Hey’s Jonathan Hardy had a couple of shots just off target before Thomas Murray’s dangerous run into the area was halted by a superb tackle from Simon Nangle.

But Colne doubled their lead after 62 minutes when Jordan and Boyle forced their way through the defence and Boyle fired home.

Again Abbey Hey pushed forward and tested the Colne defence and they were rewarded after 77 minutes when a long diagonal ball to the far post was headed down and Brandon Zibarka fired home from six yards out.

Colne defended stubbornly in the closing stages and made sure of the points in the final minute when Andy Tinker was pulled down on the edge of the area. Tinker took the free kick himself and found the net with a well-placed shot into the bottom corner.

On Saturday, Colne went enjoyed an emphatic 5-0 win against West Didsbury and Chorlton at the XLCR Stadium after the visitors scored two early own goals.

The Reds took the lead after 14 minutes when Boyle got to the bye-line and his low cross was sliced into the net by a visiting defender.

Five minutes later, Colne doubled their lead when Garvin’s searching cross was headed into the bottom corner of his own net by visiting striker Kieran Brocklehurst.

Towards half-time it was 3-0 when Anderson released Jordan, and his cross was knocked home by Chris Bailey.

Boyle made it 4-0 after 65 minutes when he swept the ball home from Adam Stockdale’s low cross.

And the Reds added a fifth goal on 86 minutes when Boyle cut in from the left wing and beat the keeper with a confident finish.

Tomorrow Colne are at home to Maine Road, kick-off 3 p.m., and on Tuesday they host Silsden (7-45 p.m.).