Inauspicious start as Barnoldswick Town leak eight in heavy defeats

James Gill makes a timely intervention on Saturday. Picture: Peter Naylor
James Gill makes a timely intervention on Saturday. Picture: Peter Naylor

Barnoldswick Town made an inauspicious start to the season, shipping eight goals in two home defeats.

Saturday’s 4-2 loss against West Didsbury and Chorlton was followed up by a 4-0 setback against Silsden on Tuesday night.

After Saturday’s home defeat, Town brought in new signing Liam Hoyle, and Harry Thompson made a surprise return to the team.

Mark Threlfall sat out the penultimate game of his three-match suspension.

Town were in charge for the first half hour, but when captain Bill Williams decided to dribble his way out of trouble, he was robbed by two Silsden players, and brought one down just inside the area. Silsden skipper Andrew Hill scored from the spot.

Silsden increased their lead right on half-time, as a great through ball over the Town defence found Dale Feather, who scored with a great shot past Edward Hall.

Town started the second half well, but 10 minutes in, Silsden increased their lead when Nicholas McNulty fired a fierce shot across Hall into the far corner.

Martin Broderick came on to replace Thompson just after the hour, but was only on the field two minutes before he received a straight red card.

Silsden’s Joseph Mitchell was over the touchline had the ball between his legs and Broderick kicked it from between them, Mitchell went down and Broderick went off!

Silsden completed the scoring after 80 minutes, as McNulty chipped Hall at the near post for Dale Zach, unmarked at the far post, who somehow managed to hit the post, before Feather cracked a fierce shot across Hall into the far corner.

On Saturday, a blow for Town came before the start, as Thompson failed a fitness test 20 minutes before kick-off.

Assistant manager James Gill stepped up from the bench, and manager Stewart Airdrie discarded his suit for a football kit went on the bench.

Just eight minutes in, Liam Blades cynically cut down a Didsbury forward from behind to earn a yellow card. He was punished further as Gary Lilley scored from the free kick.

Town equalised after 36 minutes when a corner was played to the near post, and bundled in by Gill.

Two minutes later Blades committed a foul in the area, conceding a penalty and earning a second yellow card.

Richard Gleave easily scored from the spot.

But Joel Melia won the ball just outside the area, took the ball on and shot past Didsbury keeper Jordan Hitchen from a tight angle to level the scores just before half-time.

Seven minutes after the re-start. Lewis Schofield crossed for Gleave to head Didsbury back in front, and Jerome Bryson added a fourth to seal the points.

Town go in search of their first points at 1874 Northwich tomorrow, before their first big derby at Nelson on Tuesday night.