Jordan hat-trick fires Colne to convincing victory

Treble blast: Spencer Jordan hit a hat-trick for Colne against Runcorn Town on Saturday
Treble blast: Spencer Jordan hit a hat-trick for Colne against Runcorn Town on Saturday
Share this article

Spencer Jordan was the toast of the town after his hat-trick helped Colne put Runcorn Town to the sword as they romped to a 5-1 victory at the XLCR Stadium on Saturday.

Midfielder Joe Garvin also chipped in with a brace as the Reds turned on the style in chilly conditions for the watching Colne faithful.

And despite Runcorn pulling a goal back on the stroke of half-time through an Andrew Potter penalty, the hosts always looked a threat on the counter attack and were ruthless when their chances came.

Manager Steve Cunningham was again spectating from afar as he continued to serve his four-match touchline ban, but from his temporary position on the periphery of the ground, he had a perfect view to observe his team’s stellar display.

It was the Red’s third successive win in all competitions, and the win against Runcorn saw them move up to seventh in the table.

The watching crowd were not waiting long for the opening goals of the game, as Colne raced into a 2-0 lead within the opening 20 minutes courtesy of a well-taken Garvin strike and Jordan’s neat finish following good persistence.

That quickfire double sparked Runcorn into life, and they capped off their most fruitful spell of the game with a penalty on the stroke of half-time. Michael Koral broke into the Colne area and was brought down by Jonathan Hodgkinson, and Potter stepped up to give the visitors a lifeline.

It was the Blues who came out for the second half with the momentum, but Colne remained a threat on the counter attack and it was through those breaks forward that they extended their lead.

Jordan grabbed his second and his side’s third after timing his run to perfection behind the Runcorn defence, and he clipped the ball past Stuart Plant.

Shortly after, Garvin ensured the race for the match ball was well and truly on as he drove past numerous challenges before flashing a superb strike past the keeper.

The visitors tried to stem the flow of the game, but the Reds’ pace was causing problems and they eventually added a morale-crushing fifth.

Captain Simon Nangle was brought down by Plant at a tight angle, and Jordan assumed the duty of taking the penalty, which he dispatched to cap a remarkable hat-trick and a 5-1 victory.

Runcorn to their credit never gave in, but late pressure saw the Reds’ defence hold firm.

The Reds are next in action tomorrow at home to Silsden.