Last-gasp winner for Colne

editorial image

After defeat in their last two games, Colne got back to winning ways on Tuesday with a victory against Glossop North End, who had knocked them out of the League Cup earlier in the season.

Glossop began the stronger but the defence remained solid, with Jamie Scott pulling off one brilliant save at the foot of the post.

The Reds had to wait for almost half an hour before they tested the Glossop keeper when Danny Boyle cleverly beat his marker and fired a vicious low drive across goal which the keeper managed to divert for a corner.

Minutes later James Crorken showed good feet down the line before crossing to Mark Threlfall, whose strike flew narrowly wide. Threlfall then turned provider, crossing to Ted Cockett whose brave diving header missed the target.

The Reds were now in control, but against the run of play, five minutes before the break, they found themselves a goal down when Hartshone’s shot hit the post and rebounded in off the retreating Steve Pickup.

After the interval, Glossop Kharas spurned a golden opportunity, firing over the bar from three yards out. Then Threlfall was played through the middle, and after beating three defenders he shot just over the bar.

From this point the Reds began to gain in confidence and it seemed just a matter of time before the equaliser came. Glossop’s frustration became evident, with the referee brandishing a series of yellow cards, and eventually the obvious happened when Broome was dismissed for a second bookable offence.

Gaps then began to appear in the Glossop defence. Andy Tinker was relishing his freedom down the left, creating chances for both Threlfall and Boyle. And on 68 minutes the Reds got their just rewards when they were awarded a penalty for a foul on Billy Priestley, which was converted confidently by Tinker.

The goal set up a thrilling climax, and with 10 minutes remaining Glossop took the lead again when Hamilton blasted home from close range after a good block by Scott.

But there was more drama to come when Neil Stansfield’s cross was only partially cleared to Steve Cunningham, who unleashed an unstoppable volley into the top corner of the net.

On 90 minutes Scott made an incredible save with his feet, and then deep into injury time Boyle’s inswinging corner was bundled over the line by the combined force of the leaping Threlfall and Tinker.

Tomorrow Colne travel to Atherton LR.

Final Score: Colne 3, Glossop NE 2

On Saturday, the Reds went down 2-0 at home to Stone Dominoes.

Colne started brightly and forced a series of five corners in the first few minutes after Michael Cruz’s shot had been blocked in the goalmouth. But although Colne dominated the first half, they created few clear chances against a Stone side who picked up three yellow cards with some uncompromising tackles.

Cunningham saw his goal-bound free kick fisted away by the keeper on the half hour and Threlfall brought an excellent save from the keeper with his header from a corner. The closest Colne came to a goal was when Sam Hayes knocked the ball against the post from close range following a corner.

In the second half however, Stone came back strongly and Scott made a great save to tip over a free kick by Anthony Marshall

However the Colne defence were caught flat-footed by another free kick by Marshall which was bundled in by James Curley after 53 minutes.

Eleven minutes later, Stone doubled their lead when Pickup was dispossessed on the edge of his own penalty area and Curley lobbed the ball over Scott, while the Colne defence appealed in vain to the referee for a handball decision against the Stone striker.

The introduction of Colne’s substitutes, particularly Neil Stansfield, livened up the Reds’ attack but Hayes and Boyle squandered great chances, while Stone keeper Ben Chapman made some good saves to deny the Reds any reward.