Late Threlfall goal gives Barnoldswick Town victory

Joel Melia in action for Barnoldswick against Silsden.
Joel Melia in action for Barnoldswick against Silsden.
Share this article

Barnoldswick left it late as they came out on top in a close encounter with Silsden.

Town started the match well Samuel Howell picking up a cleared Town corner and crossing into the Silsden six-yardyard box, Edward Hall in the Silsden goal making a great save from a Bill Williams. They took the lead on eight minutes, a great ball down the Silsden left released Joel Melia, his cross was met by Aaron Hollindrake on the edge of the six-yard box, Hall diving to his right was wrong footed as the ball past his outstretched left hand into the net.

Silsden did manage to equalise with 10 minutes of the half remaining. James Gill’s pinpoint cross into the Town penalty area was headed home by Lee McGowan giving Lyle Davy in the Town goal no chance.

Silsden, who had ended the first half looking dangerous, started the second in the same vein, Andrew Hill shooting just wide from the edge of the Town penalty area. And Davy had to race to the edge of his penalty area to take the ball off the feet of Christopher Wademan.

With both teams looking to win the match Gill shot wide from the edge of the Town penalty area, and a fierce Fildes cross was cut out at the near post by Moses with Threlfall waiting for a tap in goal.

A goal for Town did arrive with five minutes left, a cross into the Silsden penalty area was swiftly brought under control by Threlfall who moved forward a couple of paces before slotting past Hall giving him no chance.

With the match just moving into injury time Fildes should have made the game safe, a great pass by Connor Smith put him through one on one with Hall in the Silsden goal, but he shot straight at the keeper.

Town finally got the win their play over the past three weeks has deserved, and with new signing Paul Walker looking solid can look forward to the New Year with more optimism than in previous weeks.