League Cup holders survive scare to progress

editorial image
Share this article

In the second round of the Pendle Charity League Cup, holders Marsden Cross were taken all the way to penalty kicks by First Division rivals Station Hotel, before winning 8-7.

Daniel Crew and Adam Metcalfe gave Marsden a two-goal advantage, but a late surge from Station resulted in two goals in the last three minutes of the match.

Marsden Cross will face Graham Engineering Redskins in the quarter-finals after the Premier Division outfit beat Timmy Ts 3-1. Danny Pinder, Tom Alderman and Duncan Bennett were on target for Redskins, while Johnny Thompson replied for Timmys.

Trawden’s excellent season continued with a comfortable 7-1 win against SKK Blacko. A hat-trick from Tom Swindells, along with goals from Darren Bowden, Ben Mousley, Ben Gorman and an own goal secured their place in the quarter-finals. Blacko’s consolation came from Mark Smith. Trawden will now meet Sacred Heart, who beat Colne Town thanks to goals from Joe Kelly (2), Carl Ellerton, Ben Toms and a superb long-range effort from John Kelly.

A late strike from Crooked Billet’s Brett Doogan was not quite enough as Paak A held on to win 2-1 thanks to earlier goals from Akash Ajmal and Awais Butt. Paak A now face Weston FC in the quarter-finals, who overcame AFC Veterans 4-0. A hat-trick from Damon Clark and a goal from Ash Smith helped Weston to victory.

The last two teams through to the last eight will face each other in the quarter-final stages. Union FC beat Sacred Heart United 2-1 after extra time, thanks to a Ben Thurston brace. Johnny Morville had earlier equalized for United, and Golden Ball won by the odd goal in five against Lanway FC. Dale Smith, Phil Smith and Charlie Sitaras scored for Golden Ball while a brace from Lanway’s Chris Bibby ensured a close and dramatic climax to the game.

Pendle Forest Athletic, Pendle Blues Athletic and Shooters Clarets all booked their places in the last eight of the Billy Clegg Cup. Pendle Blues Athletic beat Paak B 2-0 thanks to goals from Kurt Wilkinson and David Shackleton. Shooters Clarets scored in the last minute of extra time to book their place in the quarter-finals after coming back from 3-1 down to win 4-3. An Ollie Wilson brace and goals from Paul Jackson and Chris Ruane proved enough for Shooters to progress. Earlier Ashley Brown, Anthony Norton and Robert North had given Blues the lead.

Pendle Forest Athletic showed their Premier Division qualities to beat Second Division opponents Barnoldswick Barons 6-2. Joel Howard and Owen Pearson were on target for Barons.

There were two Second Division league games played, which resulted in wins for Sacred Heart Celtic, who move into third position in the table, and Colne Cougars. A brace from debutant Craig Bradshaw and goals from Lewis Jordan and Lee Cooper secured maximum points for Celtic against TSB, whose consolation came from Daniel Russell. Cougars won by the odd goal in nine against Lord Nelson. Andy Hakin scored all of Nelson’s four goals.