LIVE: Burnley 4 Rochdale 1
Burnley take on Rochdale in a competitive fixture for the first time in nearly 28 years.
The Clarets ran out 4-1 winners in the FA Cup on that occasion under manager Jimmy Mullen as David Eyres netted a hat-trick at Turf Moor.
The two sides enter this Carabao Cup tie in contrasting form, albeit at opposite ends of the spectrum.
A total of 56 clubs separate the two clubs in the hierarchy, with Sean Dyche's side in a troubled position in the Premier League while the visitors are pushing for a play-off spot in League Two.
Burnley are without a win in 14-games in all competitions on their own patch, a run that stretches over eight months, while Rochdale are unbeaten in seven games across the board.
LIVE: Burnley 4 Rochdale 1
Last updated: Tuesday, 21 September, 2021, 21:38
- Burnley and Rochdale haven’t met in a competitive fixture since December 1993
- David Eyres scored a hat-trick in a 4-1 win at Turf Moor in the FA Cup on that occasion
- The Clarets beat Rochdale on the final day of the 1991-92 season when they had been crowned Fourth Division champions
- This will be the 21st competitive meeting between the two sides
- Burnley have won nine of those, Rochdale eight, with the clubs drawing three times
- Burnley won the first ever meeting between the two sides by a solitary goal back in September 1985
- The Clarets are on a 14-game stretch without a win at Turf Moor in all competitions
- They haven’t scored more than once in a game since victory over Aston Villa eight months ago
- The visitors are unbeaten in seven games across the board
- Rochdale are currently eighth in League Two with 12 points from eight games
Half-time: Burnley 0 Rochdale 0
It’s goalless at the break
Late chance for Dale
Keohane moves the ball on to his right boot and fires over the top.
Lynch comes out on top again
Cork has a go from distance, but Lynch is untroubled.
Burnley should be ahead...
Rodriguez can't get enough on his header to guide it goalwards from Vydra's assist.
Oh so close, again!
Cornet is through on goal for a third time, this time he beats Lynch, but the ball glides just wide of the far post.
Aaron Morley almost inflicts the same punishment on the Clarets as Martin Odegaard did at the weekend, but his set-piece just clears the bar.
Free kick to Rochdale
Tarkowski brings down Beesley on the edge of the box.
Another chance for Cornet
Cornet is thwarted by Lynch once again. The Ivorian collects Tarkowski’s ball over the top, but can’t find a way past the Dale stopper.
Burnley starting to ask questions...
Westwood slices an effort wide following a nice exchange on the edge of the penalty area.
Cornet goes close
Cornet has a chance to open his account for the club from Cork’s through ball, but Lynch comes off his line to make a block.