Nelson 1, Eccleshall 2

editorial image
Share this article

Nelson went down at home to fellow basement side Eccleshall on Saturday in a potential six-pointer.

On a perfect afternoon for football, as regards both the weather and the pitch, the Blues were still without the injured Joe Heseltine, Ralph Welch and Javed Mohammed.

Two of the trio have acted as captain this season, so Nelson were led by Lee Botham.

The Blues were slow out of the blocks as the visitors took the game to the home side.

An injury to an Eccleshall forward in a collision with Nelson keeper Nathan Worrel held play up for several minutes, but after treatment he was able to resume.

The game then transpired into something of a midfield battle with neither team being able to dominate.

It was then Jerrome Matthews’ turn to receive treatment.

Shakeel Butt then crossed from the left, and although Matthews and Abid Uddin treid to control the ball, it was eventually cleared by a desperate Eccleshall defence.

Worrell then had to be alert in net and beat out a long range shot as the visitors pressed on.

Minutes later a Kalim Hafji header from a free kick was just wide.

Butt was prominent at this stage for the home side, however, on 39 minutes the visitors took the lead with a fine left foot drive from Josh Lane. Minutes later Eccleshall added a second with a stunning header from Tom Wakefield.

With a mountain to climb, Nelson introduced the services of Wayne Morrison and Phil Cain for the second half.

Cain was perhaps a bit too competitive, as his first contribution of the game was to be awarded a yellow card.

Nelson tried hard to gain a foothold in the game, but were finding it difficult against such determined opponents.

The only incident of note in the Blues favour was a weak header from Morrison which failed to trouble Jordan Carter in the visitors’ goal.

As in the previous game against Irlam, Jason Powrie was brought on to provide new attacking options as Nelson were quickly running out of ideas up front.

Wakefield then broke away for the visitors in the dying minutes, and Worrell did well to save with his feet at the expense of a corner.

Matthews then dribbled into the penalty area, but after beating two men, the third defender brought him down.

The penalty kick was converted with ease by Morrison with what turned out to be the last kick of the match.

Nelson now face three successive away fixtures as they attempt to climb away from the foot of the table, starting at Abbey Hey tomorrow. Their next home game is on November 12th when they entertain Ashton Town.