Nelson climb to seventh

Peter Wright (left) netted twice for Nelson on Saturday
Peter Wright (left) netted twice for Nelson on Saturday
Share this article

Nelson moved up to seventh place in the NWC Premier Division after beating managerless Alsager at Victoria Park on Saturday.

After a blank weekend, Blues boss Mark Fell made only one change to his side, with Jonny Hession replacing Paul Fildes.

After only two minutes, Keiran Walmsley sent a deep cross goalwards, which was met by Dan Mahoney, who drove the ball past a rooted Chris Fletcher to open the scoring.

Hession was prominent down the flanks and forced two successive corners as Nelson continued to take the game to the visitors, causing panic in the Town defence.

However, some of the Blues’ attacking play was too intricate, and the overworked Alsager rearguard were able to stifle Nelson.

Eventually, a high cross from Walmsley was miscontrolled by a defender, and leading scorer Peter Wright pounced and hit a fine shot into the bottom corner to double the lead.

Minutes later, Hession was presented with a good chance, but screwed his effort wide.

A rare breakaway saw Nelson keeper Ben Woodhead save from Michael Blundell, but the Blues were again on the front foot as Ed O’Neill advanced on goal, but struck his shot inches wide of Fletcher’s left hand post.

The visitors came more into the game at this point, however, there was still time for both Joe O’Neill and Hession to test Fletcher, with the keeper equal to both efforts.

At the other end, Woodhead had to dive to smother a long range effort, before Matt O’Neill beat three defenders on a mazy run, but, with only the keeper to beat, he lifted his shot over the top.

Nelson started the second half in the ascendancy, and Matt O’Neill presented Hession with a chance, but he screwed his effort wide.

Minutes later, Mahoney had a shot, destined for goal, deflected for a corner.

Matt O’Neill and Wright combined down the right, but Wright’s cross was too close to Fletcher.

More Nelson pressure failed to produce any addition to the score, and Hession was replaced by Fildes, who was soon in the action with a left-foot shot which didn’t trouble Fletcher.

With 10 minutes remaining, yet another Walmsley cross found Wright, who side-footed into the net to seal the points with Nelson’s third, and his second.

With the game won, Dan Mahoney and Wright were withdrawn late on and replaced by Dominic Mahoney and Jake Lloyd, and as Alsager threatened, Woodhead was called upon to make a couple of good saves to preserve the clean sheet.

Then an Alex Porter corner was headed clear and picked up by Lloyd, whose cross was side-footed wide by Mahoney.

The points had long since been secured, however, and the Blues climbed above inactive derby rivals Colne in the table.

Walmsley was man of the match for his hat-trick of assists.

Tomorrow the Blues are at Winsford United.