Nelson crush Padiham to go second in the table

Sam Livesey netted twice in Nelson's 4-0 win at Padiham on Tuesday night
Sam Livesey netted twice in Nelson's 4-0 win at Padiham on Tuesday night
Share this article

Nelson thumped Padiham 4-0 at the Arbories on Tuesday night to climb back to second in the table.

The Admirals put Saturday’s 3-0 defeat at Cammell Laird – in their poorest performance of the season so far – firmly behind them against the Storks, who were playing Evo-Stik First Division North football last season.

Mark Jackson and Sam Livesey both scored twice against Steve Wilkes’ side, with the game out of sight at half-time after the Blues raced into a 3-0 lead.

Nelson went ahead after only five minutes as Livesey’s header was well saved, but Jackson reacted first to fore in the rebound.

Padiham reacted well, and Alex Ralph’s cross came back off the bar, with no home player able to force the ball past Ben Woodhead.

And in the 18th minute, Nelson doubled their advantage on the break, as Livesey strode forward and crashed a fierce strike goalwards, which lopped in despite the efforts of keeper Michael Donlon.

It was soon 3-0 as Jackson collected the ball on the right and cut inside before drilling a shot into the bottom corner.

Mark Sharples had an effort well saved by Donlon, before Kevin Leadbitter and Livesey both went close to adding to the score.

Woodhead did well to prevent the hosts pulling one back, making a crucial block having been rounded, but Nelson went in 3-0 up and well in control.

And it was game over just before the hour mark as Leadbitter threaded a pass through to Livesey, who went past Donlon and finished into the empty net.

Woodhead touched a header against the bar with 15 minutes remaining to preserve his clean sheet, as Nelson saw out the game with some comfort.

The perfoermance was a far cry from Saturday’s 3-0 setback at Cammell Laird.

The Blues had early chances, as Peter Wright went close with a lob, while Livesey turned a Matt O’Neill cross wide.

The hosts went ahead on 17 minutes as Mark Kirby’s centre was poked home by Craig Cairns.

Woodhead was overworked, making three fine stops to keep the Admirals in contention at half-time.

However, two miniutes after the restart, Kirby was again provider for the hosts as Paul Foy put the finishing touch to another inviting centre

And Cammell Laird scored the killer third as Danny O’Brien profited from a lapse in concentration at the back to score from close range just after the hour mark.

Nelson host Atherton Collieries tomorrow night at Little Wembley, with kick-off at 7-45 p.m.