Nelson snatch last-gasp win

DEBUT: Chris Turner
DEBUT: Chris Turner
Share this article

PAUL Scott’s injury time goal gave Nelson victory in this FA VAse first qualifying round tie on Saturday.

The Blues restored keeper Billy Carrington to the starting line-up, and gave a debut to former Accrington Stanley and Barrow wideman Chris Turner (pictured).

But Nelson didn’t get off to the start they wanted, as a free kick was drifted into the area on two minutes, and visiting captain Chris McDonald beat Carrington with a deft header.

This stung the hosts into action, and joint player-boss Michael Morrison beat the off-side trap, but overran the ball and keeper Samir Own gathered safely.

However, on 12 minutes, Danny Boyle burst through and finished skilfully to draw Nelson level.

Parity didn’t last long, as Appleby broke away and Oliver Bradbury beat Carrington at his far post to restore the lead for the Lincolnshire side.

This led to some exerted pressure from Nelson, and Boyle ought to have levelled matters again when one on one with the keeper, he put his shot wide of the post.

Joshua Cliff was then felled when in full flight, and from the free kick, Morrison was inches away from connecting with a header.

Nelson were beginning to pass the ball well, but were guilty of being caught off-side too often.

However, again Boyle broke away down the left, and his measured cross was just cut out by Own with Morrison ready to pounce.

Still the Blues poured forward, and though Matthew Whitwell’s effort from a corner lacked pace to trouble Own.

At the other end, Carrington had to be alert to turn aside a snap-shot from distance, and the Admirals went in 2-1 down.

Nelson pressed after the restart, and from a Nathan Egan cross, Morrison’s point-blank header was straight at Own.

Minutes later, Cliff sped down the right, and his drilled cross just eluded the outstretched foot of Morrison.

Jonathan Hodgkinson then burst through, but Own palmed away his effort.

Joint-boss Robert Grimes was then upended in the area by Paul Tait, as he was about to shoot.

Tait was dismissed, and Boyle stroked home the penalty.

Appleby’s Simonn Welton was also booked for foul language, before Bradbury was also shown the yellow card as the visitors’ frustration came to the fore.

Nelson were making hard work of pressing home their numerical advantage, and Cliff was booked for a robust challenge.

Whitwell saw a long-range effort beaten away, while Turner forcerd a full-length save with extra time looming.

But with the secretary on the verge of confirming the coach for the trip to Appleby in midweek, a corner was drilled across, and Scott converted from 10 yards.

Next up in the Vase is a home tie against Wigan Robin Park a week tomorrow.

On Saturday, Nelson are back in First Division action at Abbey Hey.

Final Score: Nelson 3, Appleby Frodingham 2