No Hyde-ing place for Reds after home loss

Jack Lynch, pictured in action for Chorley, scored Colne's third goal at Goole on Saturday
Jack Lynch, pictured in action for Chorley, scored Colne's third goal at Goole on Saturday
Share this article

After their second-successive away win at Goole on Saturday, Colne went down 2-1 at home to Hyde United on Tuesday night.

The Reds found themselves two goals behind after half an hour’s play against Hyde, and reduced the arrears before half-time with a Matty Beadle goal, but could not manage an equaliser despite a spirited second half performance.

Hyde took the lead after only seven minutes, with a goal that owed much to the conditions, as Tony Aghayere could not hold on to the slippery ball and Andy Bishop fired home an easy chance.

Colne built some promising attacks but Michael Morrison’s close range header was well saved by keeper Russ Saunders.

As the half hour approached, the Reds failed to clear their lines when a long free kick was headed down at the far post by Adam Jones and Harry Coates fired home to double Hyde’s lead.

Minutes later, Bishop fired wide in a let-off for Colne.

But the Reds grabbed a lifeline five minutes before the interval when Alex Coleman’s pass from the right wing found Beadle in the penalty area, and he turned through a group of defenders before finding the net.

Colne looked for an equaliser in the second half and forced Hyde to defend.

Some good passing moves created chances, but the Reds failed to find a finish, as the keeper made good saves from Chris Anderson, Jack Lynch and Joel Melia.

In the end, time ran out for the Reds as Hyde held on firmly to take all three points.

On Saturday at Goole, the Reds were down to the bare bones in attack having seen the departure of Ben Wharton to Bamber Bridge, and having Beadle out through illness.

But Spencer Jordan, back from injury, filled the gap alongside Jay Hart.

The Reds got off to a great start when Hart gave them the lead with a curling free kick that was helped into the net by a despairing defender’s head after only eight minutes.

But Goole grabbed an equaliser after 35 minutes when Bobby Johnson made a strong run into the area and fired into the far corner.

In the second half, Colne regained the lead after 58 minutes when Ben Hoskin was pushed to the ground for a clear penalty. Mark Ayres converted the spot kick.

Ten minutes later, Hart’s ball up the left wing found Jordan who pulled the ball back for Jack Lynch to fire low into the bottom corner.

Colne are at home to Radcliffe Borough tomorrow, and are at Skelmersdale United in the Evostik League Cup on Tuesday evening.