Padiham FC still searching for first win

Paul Fildes
Paul Fildes
Share this article

PADIHAM are still looking for their first three points of the season after falling to a narrow 1-0 defeat at Silsden in the North West Counties Premier Division on Wednesday night.

A poor first half from the Storks saw them create just one chance on the half hour mark when an Ed O’Neill free-kick from the right fell kindly for Andy Sensale, who could only fire over the crossbar.

Silsden, on the other hand, dominated play in the first 45 minutes with Martin Trickett going close on a number of occasions before finally scoring the only goal of the match a minute shy of the interval when he volleyed home from close range.

Things improved for Padiham after the break, and in the opening few minutes of the second half Damien Morrison (pictured, left) shot inches wide, while Paul Fildes (pictured, right) had a goal-bound effort tipped around the post by Silsden keeper James Mann.

Silsden opened up the Storks defence in the 54th minute when a drilled cross from the right reached Daniel McNulty, who stooped to head wide.

Padiham had a great chance to equalise on the hour mark when Jordan Hulme broke down the left and his centre was directed in to the path of Sensale who again failed to hit the target.

Fildes had a couple of half chances for Padiham and as the game switched from end-to-end, Andrew Lee blazed over the upright for the hosts.

Fildes then went the closest yet in search of a leveller when he latched on to Sensale’s threaded pass, though he could only watch as his fierce effort was tipped on to the post by Mann.

Storks boss Craig Chadwick brought on all three substitutes in a final push, but his gamble failed and it was Silsden who almost doubled their advantage when James Sutcliffe hit the woodwork with just minutes of the match remaining.

The Storks have a break from league action tomorrow as they take on Ashton Athletic in the FA Cup competition with kick-off at 3 p.m. at the Arbories.

On Sunday, Padiham’s youth team were in action, beating Burnley United Youth 4-0 at the Arbories as they prepare for their new season, which starts in September.

Padiham Ladies also played their first friendly at Pennington Ladies, but lost 3-1.