Pair hit hat-tricks as Blues go goal crazy against Oldham

Nelson Development Squad manager Sam Heap
Nelson Development Squad manager Sam Heap

Nelson came from 4-2 down to beat Oldham Borough 8-4 at Victoria Park on Saturday- three days after hitting Rochdale Town for six!

Manager Mark Fell brought in Richie Allen for the unavailable Peter Wright, and Jack Brooks for Ashley Mihell, who has joined Clitheroe.

Allen saw a shot deflected for a corner after five minutes, and from Chris Turner’s flag kick, Danny Finch made it 1-0.

However, Oldham levelled when a breakaway was finished by Jerome Bryson.

In Nelson’s next attack, Mick Berry was brought down on the edge of the box, and Allen restored Nelson’s lead from the free kick on 11 minutes.

Then hesitancy in the Admirals’ backline allowed Nathan Adams to make it 2-2, running clear to beat Ben Woodhead.

And Oldham went in front when Scott Highton strode through to give Woodhead no chance.

Adams quickly added a fourth, and it looked all over for the table toppers.

However, stung by this, full back Finch headed in Liam Bowell’s corner.

After the break, Nelson started strongly, and it was no surprise when Allen and Berry swapped passes, before the former equalised.

Minutes later, Allen sprinted through to nothc his hat-trick goal.

Then clever close control from Allen led to him crossing for Josh Barrick to sidefoot home a sixth.

Robert Grimes made it 7-4 from 25 yards, before Finch wrapped up the scoring with his third, heading in a free kick.

Today Nelson are at Consett in the FA Vase.

Meanwhile, the Blues’ Development Squad have become the first side to beat Galaxy Lancashire League (East) leaders FC United in two and a half years, winning 1-0 in a gutsy display.

Straight from the offset Nelson went about a rigorous game plan of sitting back, defending and not giving the pacy strikers of United any room in behind.

Moments of real quality were few and far between in the first half, and it was a real tough day for lone striker Paddy Furey, who tirelessly chased down four United defenders side to side on his own for most of the game.

The second half began exactly the same as the first, Nelson content to sit back and frustrate United, and, 20 minutes from time, Bryn Potter delivered a perfect in swinging corner straight on to the head of unmarked Furey, who made no mistake, leaving boss Sam Heap was delighted with his players’ efforts.