Photos: Burnley 0, West Ham United 2

Share this article

Second half penalties from West Ham duo Matt Taylor and Jack Collison sealed ten man Burnley’s exit from the Capital One Cup.

Taylor netted from the spot in the 76th minute after Jason Shackell was adjudged to have upended Hammers substitute Kevin Nolan while fellow sub Collison slotted home from the spot after being chopped down by Keith Treacy who was consequently dismissed deep in to time added on.

Matt Taylor fires West Ham United into the lead.

Matt Taylor fires West Ham United into the lead.

Tag yourself in our fan pics

But the scoreline didn’t paint the full picture as the Clarets out-passed and out-classed their Premier League opponents in all areas of the field in a dominant first half.

Sam Allardyce’s men failed to make an impression on the tie with Carlton Cole utilised as the lone striker, leaving the Clarets to press and work the openings effectively.

Junior Stanislas, awarded a start against his former club, forced visiting keeper Adrian to turn an effort around the near post when forcing full back Leo Chambers on the back foot and firing from the edge of the area.

Adrian then produced a sublime reflex save moments later when Danny Ings turned Chambers and James Tomkins cleverly in the box and rifled an attempt towards the roof of net which the Spanish stopper touched over the bar.

Sam Vokes then hit the post from a delightful Kieran Trippier centre, though play was pulled back by the linesman as the striker had strayed offside.

However, for all the home side’s territorial dominance and sustained pressure they failed to find the breakthrough before the interval as a young Hammers rearguard held on.

After the break the sequence of the game changed somewhat as the away side grew in to the fixture as West Ham added an additional attacking outlet with Collison replacing Mohamed Diame. Sandwiched in-between a succession of corners for the visitors, Stanislas whipped a set-piece over the bar after being felled by Tomkins.

Then, once Stewart Downing was introduced at the expense of Carlton Cole on the hour mark, the visitors looked more dangerous on the break, though still failing to register a shot on goal.

Trippier went close when his fizzing free-kick from 20 yards had Adrian beaten but the effort cannoned back off the bar.

That attempt prompted another transformation from Allardyce as he withdrew Tomkins due to a hamstring strain and replaced the defender with Kevin Nolan and moving to a forward three.

And just five minutes after stepping foot on to the turf, Nolan drew a foul from Shackell though replays suggested that Robert Madley’s decision was a very dubious one.

Taylor stepped up and fired home, with Heaton getting a hand to the spot kick.

Trippier, Vokes and Kightly all tried in vain to get the Clarets back in to the tie before Madley awarded a second spot kick in the third minute of time added on.

With the hosts pushing high, they were caught out when Modibo Maiga latched on to a hopeful defensive clearance and though Heaton did well to challenge the Mali winger, the ball fell to the feet of Collison who drove in to the area before being brought down by Treacy.

The Clarets winger was shown red, and from the spot Collison found the same corner to which Taylor had previously found success.

It was the Clarets’ first defeat at Turf Moor in a cup competition since September 2007 when Portsmouth were 1-0 winners in the League Cup courtesy of David Nugent’s goal.

Tag yourself in our fan pics

While West Ham march in to the draw for the quarter-final of the competition, the Clarets will now have all eyes on the New Den as they look to keep their place at the top of the Championship against Millwall on Saturday.

Follow @BXSport on twitter!