Photos: Burnley 2, Nottingham Forest 1

Share this article

Burnley progressed into the next round of the Capital One Cup after another delightful performance at Turf Moor.

Matt Derbyshire opened the scoring for the visitors before a brace from Danny Ings sent the Clarets into the last 16.

GOAL! Danny Ings' header beats Forest keeper De Vries

GOAL! Danny Ings' header beats Forest keeper De Vries

After a slow start to the game, it burst into life when former Blackburn Rovers striker lashed home after a Dexter Blackstock cross, the celebrations from the ex-Rover suggested he was delighted with the goal.

Tag yourself in our fan pics

The Clarets could have levelled matters immediately, Danny Ings crossed for Junior Stanislas, but his header was palmed wide by Forest keeper De Vries.

Sam Vokes was next to come close to levelling the tie, but the big mans head from a Treacy cross was inches wide, with the majority of the crowd inside Turf Moor waiting for the net to ripple.

Danny Ings thought he had won his side a penalty, after jinking his way into the box, he appeared to have been tripped by Lascelles, but the referee waved away the Burnley protests.

With the half time whistle looming, Kieran Tripper played the ball into Ings who controlled, turned and volleyed into the corner of the goal, a real goal of the season contender.

The in form striker could and perhaps should have sent the Clarets into the half time break level after Shackell had headed a Treacy corner down to him, he scuffed his shot over the bar.

Junior Stanislas had the first real effort on goal in the second half, playing a neat one-two with Sam Vokes before trying to curl an effort into the top corner, Dorus De Vries posed for photos before saving.

Keith Treacy was next to try his luck, turning on the afterburners after a flick on from Ings, his shot saved well by De Vries, who was fast becoming the busier of the two keepers.

But it was Forest who nearly took the lead, after Trippier tried to head the ball back to Heaton, but it lacked power and sent Derbyshire through one on one with Heaton, but the strikers looping shot was over Heaton and the Burnley goal much to the delight of the Clarets faithful.

Derbyshire was made to pay for that miss just one minute later when a Junior Stanislas free kick was headed in by Danny Ings for his ninth goal of the season.

Tag yourself in our fan pics

That goal forced Forest manager Billy Davies to ring the changes and he sent on Ishmael Miller who made an almost immediate impact, heading wide just moments after entering the field of play.

Miller again came closest to levelling the game, cutting inside and curling an effort towards the top corner, but Burnley keeper Heaton was a match for the shot and tipped it over the bar.

Forest piled on the pressure in the dying moments, but lacked a cutting edge up front, with Burnley happy to see the game out.

Charlton Athletic travel to Turf Moor on Saturday, and the Clarets will be looking to continue their good run of form.