Photos: Everton 1, Burnley 0

Share this article

Ashley Barnes will miss Burnley’s crunch game against Leicester City next weekend after referee Mike Jones gave the striker his marching orders in defeat to Everton.

The 25-year-old was dismissed for two bookable offences as a Kevin Mirallas strike at Goodison Park saw the Clarets drop back down to the foot of the Premier League.

Danny Ings feels the pain of defeat

Danny Ings feels the pain of defeat

The former Brighton and Hove Albion frontman was issued his first caution midway through the first half; Jones brandishing the yellow for unsportsmanlike behaviour as Barnes attempted to hack down James McCarthy on the break.

Then, deep in to first half stoppage time, the five-goal hitman mis-timed his challenge when tracking Seamus Coleman down the Toffees’ right hand side.

It proved a frustrating afternoon for Sean Dyche’s side, who failed to build on Tom Heaton’s superb 10th minute penalty save.

The Clarets stopper, who had denied Southampton’s Dusan Tadic from 12 yards earlier in the campaign, plunged to his right to thwart Ross Barkley, sparing David Jones’s blushes after the midfielder had tripped Aaron Lennon.

Tom Heaton saved Ross Barkley's penalty in the first half

Tom Heaton saved Ross Barkley's penalty in the first half

Barkley’s inability to convert predictably prompted questions over Leighton Baines’s omission from spot kick duties, particularly with the full back missing just once in 16 attempts.

The England under 21 international had helped to expose the away side’s achilles heel early on, capitalising on his side’s extra man in midfield to travel in to space only to pull his effort wide of the near post.

Sam Vokes, in search of his first ever goal in England’s top tier, had the opportunity to amend that when meeting Kieran Trippier’s inswinging cross unchallenged but the striker flicked his header over the bar.

After Heaton’s heroics, the goalkeeper was first in to action again just after the quarter-of-an-hour mark. First he flicked Coleman’s centre out of the reach of Arouna Kone before reacting instantly to save Baines’s fizzing drive.

Again the hosts bypassed the away side’s midfield with a solitary pass; this time it was Aaron Lennon who side-stepped Scott Arfield on the edge of the box but his effort squirmed wide of the upright with Heaton at full stretch.

The breakthrough arrived in the 29th minute. The Clarets failed to cut out Kone’s cross from the right, Mirallas miscued with his first attempt, but fortuitously the ball sat up kindly for the Belgium international who swept the ball beyond Heaton. Dyche’s side have now failed to keep a clean sheet in 14 successive away fixtures.

The visitors, however, responded immediately though Jones should’ve done much better when through on goal. Danny Ings flicked the ball beyond Phil Jagielka and in to his team-mate’s path but, with just Tim Howard to beat, the midfielder lent backwards and lifted his attempt over the top.

Jones waved away penalty appeals when Barnes’s cross seemingly struck the arm of Barkley, but those cries transformed in to shouts of despair and disappointment as the striker walked down the tunnel after seeing red.

The Clarets improved after the break, but still failed to test Howard as they searched for only their second goal in 639 minutes of football.

Kone diverted Mirallas’s cross on to the foot of the post early on, and the latter was fortunate not to have received the same punishment as Barnes when only booked for a horrific challenge down the shin of George Boyd.

James McCarthy side-footed wide when found from Lennon’s pull back as Everton looked to extend their lead before Baines’s piledriver was beaten away by Heaton.

The home side were making the extra man advantage count, and continued to probe with efforts from Lennon and Coleman. The former Spurs winger’s deflected strike was comfortably gathered to the goalkeeper’s left before Coleman’s ferocious drive flashed over the bar.

Gareth Barry drew a routine save from the visitor’s man of the match once Baines’s set-piece found the midfielder unmarked at the back post while McCarthy’s stinging strike whistled past the post with Heaton rooted to the spot.

Burnley’s best chance of the half arrived in the 86th minute, though Ings, hoping to impress his suitors ahead of the summer, inexplicably missed the target. The striker found space from Trippier’s centre, but headed over unchallenged from six yards out.

Barkley then stung the palms of Heaton in the first minute of four added on by the fourth official.

The Clarets will take on the Foxes at Turf Moor on Saturday after Nigel Pearson’s side climbed to 18th with a third successive win - a 2-0 triumph over Swansea City at the King Power Stadium.