Promising start not fulfilled as Town lose derby

editorial image
Share this article

Former Barnoldswick Town striker Danny Boyle was the difference as Colne won the derby 4-1 at the Silentnight Beds Stadium on Tuesday night.

On paper it looks like another heavy defeat for Town, but they perfomed well in the first half, restricting Colne.

In front of a vociferous crowd of 226, Town started the better and took a deserved lead after 10 minutes.

A ball was headed on by Mark Threlfall to Joel Melia, and he took the ball on before playing it to Harry Thompson, who squared it into the path of John Beckwith to strike a sweet shot past Chris Thompson.

From then on it was all Town, Threlfall’s volley hitting the Thompson’s chest and re-bounding to safety.

Beckwith shot just over before Melia pulled the ball dangerously, but just behind Threlfall.

Town continued to press, Beckwith forcing Thompson to nudge his header over, and Threlfall swivelled to shoot just over after Thompson had again tormented the Colne full back Ed Williams.

Eight minutes from half-time Town should have had a penalty, Beckwith pushing the ball round Williams and having his shirt pulled inside the area, but the referee didn’t see it.

And just as Town were thinking of going into the break ahead, Shaun Airey was adjudged to have fouled Boyle inside the area, and Boyle easily scored his 11th goal of the season.

Three minutes into the second half, Jonathan Hodgkinson playing a great ball over the Town defence, Boyle took the ball on the run brilliantly and scored off the far post to put Colne in front.

Town pushed hard for the equaliser, Beckwith sending an overhead kick straight at Thompson.

But on the hour, Boyle completed his hat-trick, Airey making a hash of a clearance, playing the ball to Boyle who again finished well.

With two minutes left Colne scored their fourth goal, Chris Anderson latching onto a ball over the top to score.

On Saturday, Town lost 2-1 at Abbey Hey.

Town, looking lively, took the lead after five minutes as Thompson collected a through ball, closed in on Jonathan McIlwaine’s goal and curled a great shot past him inside the far post.

Two minutes later a poorly-directed header from player manager Stewart Airdrie let Louis Callaghan free on the edge of the area, and he saw Town keeper Chris Taylor off his line and lobbed him to equalise.

The home team took the lead after 34 minutes. A poor clearance by the Town defence saw the ball fall at the feet of Sam Freakes, and he drilled a low shot from the corner of the area that sneaked in at the near post.

Town are at West Didsbury and Chorlton on Saturday and host Bacup on Tuesday night.