Rammy beat Reds in derby clash

Adam Morning scored Colne's winner at Mossley on Saturday
Adam Morning scored Colne's winner at Mossley on Saturday
Share this article

Victory at Mossley on Saturday was followed up by a narrow defeat at home to Ramsbottom United for Colne on Tuesday night.

Against Paul Fildes and Mark Fell’s Rammy side, it always looked likely that one goal would settle the matter and the visitors came up with the winner late in the second half.

In the early exchanges, Adam Morning came close to opening the scoring with a low shot that flew just wide.

Ramsbottom almost took the lead on 25 minutes when Oliver Crankshaw saw his low shot cleared off the goal-line.

And Tony Aghayere got down well to save Gareth Seddon’s shot minutes later.

As the game swung Colne’s way, Morning and Michael Morrison saw their shots deflected wide.

In the second half, after 68 minutes, Joel Melia broke into the area after an exchange of passes with Ben Wharton, but keeper Ashley Shenton pushed his shot wide at the near post.

Ramsbottom always looked dangerous on the counterattack and Colne had a let-off after 70 minutes when Crankshaw miskicked with a good chance at the far post.

Five minutes later, the Reds were not so lucky when Darren Green’s well-struck 20-yard shot was deflected out of Aghayere’s reach into the top corner of the net.

As the Reds looked for an equaliser in the closing stages, Morning’s cross was sliced towards his own goal by Joshua Askew, and Shenton made a double save to claw the ball out from under the bar and then keep out Wharton’s follow up header.

Ramsbottom were reduced to 10 men in the closing minutes when Pierre Yamfam was sent off for his second yellow card but held on to take all three points.

On Saturday, a Morning goal after 17 minutes was sufficient to take all three points for Colne.

The Reds started brightly with Jay Hart testing Mossley keeper Liam Flynn with a good long range shot after only five minutes, while at the other end, Morrison made a vital tackle as Andy Keogh burst into the Colne area.

And after 17 minutes, Morning cut in from the right wing and unleashed a shot with his favoured left foot from just outside the area into the top corner, which left Flynn rooted to the spot, giving Colne the lead.

The Reds pushed forward, spurred on by the non-stop running of Jake Hargreaves and Chris Anderson’s guile in midfield.

And Morning might have had a second goal on the half hour when Flynn got down well to save his close range shot at the foot of the post.

But with half-time approaching, Aghayere first denied Jonah Gosling with a tackle in the six-yard box, and then from the ensuing corner, made a great save to keep out Robert Bourne’s shot.

Early in the second half, Colne missed the chance to double their lead when Hart made a great run into the area but pulled his shot across the face of goal.

Mossley pushed forward and put the Reds defence under pressure for long periods, but some fine saves and outstanding handling by Aghayere saw them through to a hard-earned win on the day.

Tomorrow, Colne are at Home to league leaders Brighouse Town, kick-off 3 p.m.

Last Thursday night, Colne Reserves fought out a 10-goal thriller in the Lancashire Galaxy League against Ashton Athletic Reserves at Holt House.

Wharton rediscovered his scoring touch following a lay-off due to injury, as he banged in four goals on the night.

Melia and Ewan Macadam were also on target.