Rampant Reds go five points clear at top of table

Jason Hart hit a hat-trick for Colne against Congleton on Saturday
Jason Hart hit a hat-trick for Colne against Congleton on Saturday
Share this article

Two more wins, with eight goals scored, helped Colne move five points clear at the top of the NWC Premier Division.

The Reds beat Congleton Town 4-2 at the XLCR Stadium on Non-League Day on Saturday, with a hat-trick from Jason Hart, before a 4-0 win at AFC Darwen on Wednesday night.

At the Anchor Ground, the Reds dominated possession from the off, and their attacking intent was rewarded on 28 minutes when a quick throw from Hart released Danny Boyle to run into the area and drill a low shot into the bottom corner.

Five minutes later and Colne fashioned another chance when Chris Anderson released Hart out wide left, and he ran at the defence only to see his shot just miss the far post with the keeper scrambling across his line.

Colne extended their lead a minute into the second half when the ball was played wide left to the overlapping Lee Pugh – brother of Bournemouth’s Marc – who switched play inside to Anderson, and his quick feet took him past two Darwen defenders before he played a simple ball to Hart, who coolly slipped the ball past home keeper Ben Proctor.

On 56 minutes the ball was played wide right to Boyle, whose great cross was met by a firm Hart header only to see Proctor claw the ball away.

The Reds added to their lead on 75 minutes when another ball played wide right to substitute Kenny Taylor saw his cross hit a defender and bounce to Anderson, who played it wide left to Hart.

His shot was blocked on the line, only for the ball to bounce out to the six-yard box, where Anderson coolly slotted the ball into the bottom corner.

The fourth goal came on 80 minutes when Kieran Demaine released Taylor, whose low cross into the area was swept home by Boyle to bag his second of the night.

On Saturday, Colne maintained their run at the top of the league with an enthralling 4-2 win over Congleton Town at the XLCR Stadium.

The Reds took the lead after only seven minutes when Jason Hart found the net with a superb header into the top corner following a cross from the right wing.

And after 35 minutes, Andy Farrimond was beaten for the second time in the game when Hart broke clear on the left wing and his low diagonal shot found the bottom corner of the net to give the Reds a two goal lead at half-time.

Three minutes into the second half, a high ball over the top of the visitors defence allowed Hart to run clear beating the offside trap and he lobbed the ball over Farrimond and into the empty net to stretch Colne’s lead to 3-0.

Within a minute however, Congleton pulled a goal back when Declan Fletcher fired home an angled shot at the other end to reduce the arrears to 3-1.

Congleton clawed back another goal when Fletcher found the net with a close range shot in a crowded area following a corner.

Chris Thompson made two vital saves before, in injury time, Danny Boyle’s run into the penalty area led to Chris Anderson being pushed to the ground and the referee pointed to the spot.

Boyle converted the penalty to give a final scoreline of 4-2.

Tomorrow Colne are at home to Padiham before they travel to Ashton Athletic on Tuesday.