Reds are pegged back at the death by Brighouse

Jay Hart leads the line for Colne at Brighouse
Jay Hart leads the line for Colne at Brighouse
Share this article

A late penalty denied Colne all three points after a hard fought game in testing conditions at Brighouse Town on Saturday.

The Reds found themselves behind after only two minutes when a right wing move released Luke Parkin into the penalty area, and he found the bottom corner of the net with a low diagonal shot.

Action from Colne's draw against Brighouse Town

Action from Colne's draw against Brighouse Town

Colne had a let-off within a minute when Michael Fish saw his looping shot rebound off the post, as Brighouse pushed forward with the wind and rain at their backs.

But Colne eased their way into the game with some good attacking moves involving Jack Lynch and Adam Morning on the right wing.

A promising move after 15 minutes saw Lynch’s diagonal cross headed on by Simon Nangle, and cleared from the Brighouse six-yard box.

But three minutes later at the other end, Paul Phillips was in action as he dived at the feet of Parkin with a brave save.

And Ollie Wood made a good block in the Colne area to keep out a goal-bound shot.

The Reds had claims for a penalty after 25 minutes when Lynch released Morning for a run into the area, and he went down under challenge by a defender, but the referee waved play on.

As play switched to the other end, Phillips again needed to produce a good save as Adam Baker found himself unmarked in the area, and the ball was eventually cleared by Alex Coleman.

The introduction of Jay Hart at half-time brought fresh legs up front for the Reds, and it took just 12 minutes for Hart to make an impact when he raced clear on a through ball and beat the keeper with a confident finish to level the scores at 1-1.

It was Colne’s turn to take advantage of the weather conditions, and Phil Dean saw his 30-yard free kick pushed over the bar.

Mark Ayres made a great tackle to halt the run of Fish as he burst into the Reds’ penalty are,a and Phillips made a good save to hold a shot from former Colne player Ben Wharton at his near post.

Colne took the lead after 76 minutes when Wood rose high above the Town defence to head home Morning’s corner.

Brighouse came back strongly in the closing stages and penned the Reds in their goalmouth with a series of corners.

With time running out, a half clearance fell to Jack Stockdill and his shot struck a defender’s hand in the area.

Parkin stepped up to convert the resulting penalty and give his side a share of the points.

Tomorrow, Colne are at Home to Goole, kick-off 3 p.m.