Reds come from behind to maintain play-off charge

Adam Morning challenges the Colwyn Bay keeper
Adam Morning challenges the Colwyn Bay keeper
Share this article

Colne maintained their play-off challenge thanks to a great second half comeback against Colwyn Bay at Holt House on Saturday.

The Reds started brightly, with some promising attacks, and, as Oliver Wood blocked an attempted clearance in the area, the ball looped towards the goal before keeper Kieran Wolland was at full stretch to push it over the bar.

Colne on the attack against Colwyn Bay

Colne on the attack against Colwyn Bay

The Reds fell behind after 12 minutes when they conceded possession in midfield and Danny Bartle went clear to beat Greg Hartley with a good finish in a one-on- one.

Colne worked hard, but found it difficult to create clear scoring chances, although Wood flashed a header just wide from Lee Pugh’s long throw after 18 minutes.

After 21 minutes, Hartley produced a great save to keep out a shot by Bartle as the visitors looked to double their lead.

As the Reds pushed forward, Chris Anderson volleyed just over after Wood’s knockdown.

Jay Hart replaced Si Nangle just after the half hour, giving Colne fresh options up front.

On the stroke of half-time, Hartley produced an instinctive one-handed save to keep out a shot from Jamie Rainford that had goal written all over it.

Colne manager Steve Cunningham had work to do at half-time, and his team talk fired the Reds up.

Just two minutes after the interval Adam Morning levelled with a 25-yard left foot shot that stung the keeper’s hands on its way into the net.

Colne took control and pushed forward with a series of promising attacks.

Gaul repeatedly opened up the Colwyn Bay defence and Hart curled a free kick just over the bar.

At the other end, Louis Corrigan claimed a penalty after his shot struck Gaul in the area, and Warren Bellew pulled a shot wide.

But Morning gave Colne the lead with another quality goal after 69 minutes when he cut in from the right wing and found the net with a low shot just inside the near post.

The visitors still posed a threat and Hartley did well to punch the ball away as a long searching cross looked for the head of Rainford at the far post of the Colne goal.

But at the other end, Hart forced a great save from the visitors’ keeper as Colne looked for a third goal.

But the win was sufficient to lift them into fifth place in the table as they continue in what has been an outstanding first season in the Evo-Stik League.

Tomorrow Colne are at leaders Lancaster City (kick-off 3 p.m.) before they host Bamber Bridge on Tuesday (kick-off 7-45 p.m.).