Reds earn away win at Burscough

Colne's Matt Beadle
Colne's Matt Beadle
Share this article

Colne fought out a creditable 2-1 win at Burscough on Tuesday night thanks to goals by Jay Hart and Matty Beadle.

The Reds collected a much needed three points after the disappointment of Saturday’s abandoned game.

The referee called a halt to the league game at Radcliffe Borough at 4 p.m., after the hosts’ 18-year-old goalkeeper Matthew Johnson, on loan from Everton, suffered a broken leg after 20 minutes, following a collision.

Colne started the game at Burscough on the front foot and opened up the home defence repeatedly with some good attacking moves.

Ben Hoskin and Ben Wharton both had shots just over the bar as an early goal looked on the cards.

After six minutes, Wharton released Hart for a run on the left wing into the area, and he found the bottom corner of the net with a well-placed shot past keeper Marcus Burgess to give the Reds the lead.

Colne were clearly in control at this stage, but Burscough came more into the game as the half progressed and drew level on the half hour.

Mason Nevitt made a good break into the area and gave Tony Aghayere no chance with a pile driver of a shot into the far corner of the net.

Colne continued to play some promising attacking football and Beadle might have restored the Reds’ lead on the stroke of half-time when he met Alex Coleman’s curling cross with a firm header, but Burgess was well placed to save.

Steve Cunningham’s half-time team talk fired up the Reds, and they pushed forward with renewed vigour in the second half.

The pressure paid off after just three minutes when Lee Pugh drove forward into the area to the left of goal, and his hard, low cross was fired home at the far post by Beadle to give Colne a 2-1 lead.

The Reds continued to attack in search of further goals, with Jack Lynch outstanding in midfield.

And on the hour, cousin Chris Lynch saw his header cleared off the line by Martin Jackson in a period of pressure.

Hoskin saw his shot fly just wide of the home goal, following Pugh’s long throw into the danger area, and Jack Lynch lifted his close range shot over the bar from a great chance provided by Coleman’s cross from the wing.

With 10 minutes left, Nevitt almost grabbed a second equaliser for the home side when the ball fell to him on the edge of the area, but Aghayere pulled off a vital save to keep out his shot, and Pugh cleared the loose ball from the goalmouth.

And in the closing minutes, Wharton might have made the game safe for Colne when Pugh’s free kick found him in the goalmouth, but he was unable to find the target.

On Saturday, Colne travel to Goole in the Evo-Stik First Division North, kick-off 3 p.m., before they are at home on Tuesday to Hyde United, with a 7-45 p.m. kick-off.