Reds earn some semblance of revenge in derby

Colne Reserves.....................3Nelson Development Squad..0Colne beat the weather and managed to stage their Lancashire League Cup tie against Nelson at the XLCR Stadium on Monday night.

Thursday, 20th February 2014, 2:00 pm
Michael Cruz sets up another attack.

And the Reds were suitably rewarded as they took revenge for their 3-1 defeat at Nelson three weeks ago.

Colne fielded a strong side in view of the fact that their first team has not played for several weeks, and in the first four minutes, they scored twice.

In the very first minute, Michael Cruz opened the scoring when he converted a defence-splitting pass with a clinical finish at the far post.

And on four minutes, the Reds doubled their lead when Jason Hart forced the ball home from Andy Tinker’s cross.

Nelson keeper Curtis Hickman produced good saves to deny Tinker and Chris Anderson, but was beaten again after 26 minutes when Neil Stansfield’s through ball released Tinker to score Colne’s third with a low shot.

Nelson’s main threat came from Brandon Barski, who saw his 25-yard free kick flash inches past the post, and struck another good shot just over the bar after a twisting run through the defence.

In the second half, Nelson tested the Reds with some long free kicks into the home goalmouth, but Jonathan Hodgkinson and his team mates proved equal to the task with some commanding headed clearances.

Colne should have increased their lead as they carved out a series of chances in and around the Nelson penalty area.

On the hour, they were denied by an outstanding point blank save by Hickman from Kieran Demaine, turning his shot over the bar after Stansfield had opened up the Blues defence.

Nelson were reduced to 10 men when Toby Sudderick was sent off for his second yellow card when he brought down Stevie Cassidy.

But to their credit, the young Blues still competed well in midfield and battled to the end as players from both sides went down with cramp in the heavy conditions.

However, Colne should have sewn the game up with a fourth goal on 82 minutes when Stansfield again set up a chance for Demaine, which he blazed over from only six yards out.

Colne first team’s game at Norton United on Saturday was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, but, weather permitting, they travel to Glossop NE on Saturday (kick-off 3 p.m.).

On Monday night the reserves host Bootle (kick-off 7-45 p.m.).


Barnoldswick Town’s home clash with Bootle on Saturday fell victim to a waterlogged pitch.

Town will hope to return to action this Saturday at the Silentnight Beds Stadium, with Stockport Sports the visitors.