Reds finish with nine men in battling defeat at Glossop

Mike Fish levels matters at Glossop North End on Saturday
Mike Fish levels matters at Glossop North End on Saturday
Share this article

Colne slipped to a 3-1 defeat on Saturday at Glossop despite a battling performance.

The Reds dominated the second half, but failed to find a second equaliser and were hit by a Glossop breakaway in injury time.

Mike Fish in action at Glossop

Mike Fish in action at Glossop

Colne got off to the worst possible start when Glossop’s central defender Adam Jones beat the Reds keeper Matthew Green to a high ball to head his side into the lead after only four minutes.

Colne almost struck back a minute later when Alex Curran’s diagonal shot whistled inches past the post of the home goal, and the Reds pushed forward with some enterprising attacks, creating good chances.

And they were rewarded after 27 minutes when the ball was worked into the penalty area from a throw on the right wing, and Mike Fish found the bottom corner of the net with a low shot on the turn to level the scores at 1-1.

Colne continued to press forward, and Fish headed just wide from Si Nangle’s corner on the half hour.

But the Reds were caught out when a diagonal free kick into their penalty area was headed back across the face of goal, and Ben Deegan had a simple tap in to restore Glossop’s lead at 2-1 after 36 minutes.

Four minutes later, Colne were reduced to 10 men when Mark Ayres was sent off after a confrontation with the Glossop players.

And the Reds had a let off when a 30-yard free kick rattled their crossbar just before half-time.

Controversy reigned after 52 minutes when Glossop’s keeper Russ Saunders handled outside his area to thwart a Colne attack, as Spencer Jordan bore down on goal, but after lengthy consultation with his assistant, the referee produced a yellow card, and the keeper remained on the field.

Colne’s 10 men controlled much of the second half and created a series of chances, but Glossop defended well in and around their own penalty area.

The Reds frustration showed when Jordan was shown a straight red card after 86 minutes for a reckless challenge, leaving his side with nine men.

As Colne threw everyone forward in injury time, they were caught out by a swift counter attack and Deegan added a third goal for the Blues, with the Reds defence gambling at the wrong end of the field.

The defeat leaves Colne with one league win, sitting 19th in the Evo-Stik First Division North table.

Tomorrow, Colne are at Home to Trafford, kick-off 3 p.m., before they travel to meet Ossett Albion on Tuesday evening, kick-off 7-45 p.m.