Reds get back on winning trail at Silsden

Joe Gaughan made his Colne debut at Silsden on Tuesday night after joining the club from Barnoldswick Town
Joe Gaughan made his Colne debut at Silsden on Tuesday night after joining the club from Barnoldswick Town
Share this article

Colne got back on the winning trail with a 3-1 win at Silsden on Tuesday night when they rediscovered their scoring touch in a resurgent second half.

The Reds were a goal behind at the interval but goals by Simon Nangle, Jason Hart and Chris Anderson saw them run out worthy winners.

The Reds opened brightly, but warning bells began to sound after 18 minutes when Chris Thompson had to make a double save from Ryan Cattermole and Chris Wademan.

Joe Mitchell was the next attacker to slip through, and again Thompson was out quickly to block his shot.

But Silsden took the lead after 25 minutes through Kevin Ryan’s superb diagonal shot into the top corner.

The Reds levelled 10 minutes into the second half when a free kick into the area fell to Nangle, who fired home from six yards out.

Joe Gaughan making his debut after signing from Barnoldswick Town, clipped the top of the Silsden crossbar with a dipping shot before Hart took full advantage of space on the right wing, when he raced clear of the home defence and found the net with a low shot after 67 minutes.

Minutes later, Thompson preserved the lead when he got down well to block Wademan’s shot in a one-on-one. And Ryan managed to hook the ball over from a Silsden corner.

The Reds made the game safe after 83 minutes when Gaughan’s clever backheel released Anderson, and he slotted past keeper Edward Hall.

On Saturday, Colne dropped two vital points in the race for the North West Counties Premier Division title against lowly Squires Gate at the XLCR Stadium, in a goal-less draw.

Hart had a shot blocked, before Thompson made a vital save to push Anthony Stayte’s shot round the post.

Nangle’s shot was deflected onto the post, but again Thompson was brought into action to push Joe Noblett’s free kick over the bar.

Lee Pugh’s piledriver produced an outstanding save from Gate keeper Joshua Woods just before the interval.

In the second half, Kenny Taylor and Dom Craig went close, and Ben Halfacre almost got the winner on his Colne debut, but his shot on the turn was pushed round the post.

Tomorrow Colne are at AFC Liverpool, and on Tuesday they host Maine Road.