Reds keep their foot on the pedal

Ben Wharton scores Colne's opening goal against Ashton Athletic
Ben Wharton scores Colne's opening goal against Ashton Athletic
Share this article

Two more handsome wins, coupled with a favour from Nelson on Tuesday night, left Colne three points behind NWC Premier Division leaders Runcorn Linnets ahead of last night’s home game with Atherton Collieries.

On Saturday, the Reds won 6-2 at home to Ashton Athletic, before a 5-0 success at Winsford United on Monday night – with Nelson holding Linnets 1-1 on Tuesday.

At Winsford, Colne went ahead on the half hour when Tony Aghayere’s long ball upfield was helped on by Ben Wharton for Jason Hart on the left wing. He pulled the ball back for Danny Boyle to fire into the bottom corner of the net from the edge of the area.

Six minutes later, a free kick into the Winsford box was half cleared to Boyle, who caught the ball on the volley to fire an unstoppable shot into the top corner of the net and double Colne’s lead.

With half-time approaching, a free kick on the corner of the penalty area allowed Hart to try an angled shot across goal, and when keeper Dale Latham could only block his effort, Spencer Jordan forced home the rebound to give the Reds a 3-0 lead at the interval.

The Reds increased their lead after 64 minutes when Hart’s quick turn beat the offside trap, and he raced into the penalty area before crossing for Kenny Taylor to fire home Colne’s fourth goal.

And Colne went nap on 78 minutes when Boyle won the ball in midfield and released Joel Melia into the penalty area on the left, and his cross was knocked home from close range by Taylor to round off the scoring.

On Saturday, Colne stepped up the pace in their promotion chase with a six-goal thrashing of Ashton Athletic at the XLCR Stadium.

The Reds took the lead after only six minutes when Hart’s corner was flicked on by Ben Hoskin and fell to Wharton at the near post, and he knocked the ball over the line with a clever back heel.

Colne always looked capable of adding more goals, and after 28 minutes, they doubled their lead when Chris Anderson released Hart for a run into the area on the left, outpacing the defender, and he found the top corner of the net with a perfectly-executed finish past keeper Martin Pearson.

The Reds created further chances and added a third goal five minutes before the interval when Wharton’s run into the area on the right drew the visitors’ defence, and his low cross was knocked home by the unmarked Hart at the far post.

Just two minutes into the second half, Ashton were thrown a lifeline when Joel Brownhill went down under challenge from Dean Stott in the Colne goalmouth, and Brownhill fired home the resulting penalty to reduce the arrears to 3-1.

Ten minutes later, the Reds restored their cushion at 4-1 with an action replay of their first goal when Wharton scored at the near post with a back heel from Hart’s corner.

Within five minutes, the visitors struck back again when Isaac Kusaloka took advantage of hesitancy in the Colne defence to fire home his side’s second goal.

The Reds dispelled any doubts after 67 minutes with a superb attacking move started by Wharton, which saw an interchange of passes between Boyle and Jordan, who fired home Colne’s fifth goal.

And the Reds rounded off the scoring with another well worked goal instigated by Wharton on 77 minutes when Dom Craig provided the cross for Hart to complete his hat trick.

Tomorrow the Reds host Bootle, before a trip to AFC Liverpool on Wednesday.