Reds kick-off with friendly defeat

Joe Garvin, left, netted on his first game back in a Colne shirt on Saturday
Joe Garvin, left, netted on his first game back in a Colne shirt on Saturday
Share this article

Colne kicked off their pre season friendlies with a 3-2 defeat at Silsden on Saturday.

Despite a disappointing first half, the Reds picked up after the interval with a promising performance that deserved a better reward.

Colne began confidently and pushed forward in the opening stages.

Ben Wharton almost cashed in on Lee Pugh’s low cross after 12 minutes, which he turned just wide of the near post.

And Danny Boyle was denied by a good save by the keeper after Wharton’s through ball released him into the home penalty area.

But Silsden took the lead after 17 minutes when Nicky McNally fired home an angled shot after a good pass from former Bradford City man Danny Forrest.

Worse was to follow just four minutes later when the Reds gotthemselves in a tangle at the back and gave away a penalty, which Forrest converted to double Silsden’s lead.

Silsden looked dangerous with every attack, and went further ahead after 36 minutes when Forrest turned past defenders and fired home their third goal.

Boyle and Wharton fought to find a way through the home defence as Silsden got back in numbers, and Colne were rewarded after 42 minutes when Joe Garvin followed up to drive a low 20-yard shot into the bottom corner of the net to reduce the arrears to 3-1 at half-time.

A reshuffle brought a better performance in the second half and Tom Berwick came close when he fired a shot over the bar at the far post from Danny Morton’s inviting cross.

And Chris Anderson had his effort blocked at the near post from Kenny Taylor’s cross from the bye-line.

As the pressure continued, Wharton took advantage of hesitancy in the home defence and fired home a low diagonal shot on the hour for Colne’s second goal.

Three minutes later Boyle was denied by the home keeper as the Reds looked for an equaliser.

But as Silsden looked to hit back on the break, Mark Povey made two excellent saves on his debut in the Colne goal

The Reds might have snatched a draw in the closing stages when Wharton forced his way into the home area, but as the ball broke to Taylor, his shot crashed against the bar and was cleared from the goalmouth.

Tomorrow Colne travel to Euxton Villa for a double header – first team and reserve team games, kick-off at 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.

Then on Tuesday, Colne welcome Warrington Town to the XLCR Stadium for a friendly with an 8 p.m. kick-off.

On Friday, July 22nd, a Burnley XI come to the XLCR Stadium, kick-off 7-45 p.m., before the Reds make the trip to neighbours Barnoldswick Town on Tuesday the 26th (7-45 p.m.).

Colne host Atherton Collieries on Friday, July 29th (7-45 p.m.) as the NWCFL champions face the cup winners.

The following day, the Reds are at Nelson (3 p.m.), before a trip to Ashton United on Tuesday, August 2nd (7-45 p.m.).

l Colne’s first-ever season in the FA Trophy will kick-off on Saturday, October 8th against Trafford FC.

Trafford, who are now managed by Tom Baker, haven’t been further than the third round in the trophy.

Should Colne progress, they will travel to the winners of either Ossett Town or Bamber Bridge in the First Round Qualifying.

Colne will host the winners of 1874 Northwich or Barnton in the preliminary round of the FA Cup on August 20th at the XLCR Stadium.