Reds on cloud nine as their remarkable run continues

Danny Boyle bursts into the penalty area against 1874 Northwich
Danny Boyle bursts into the penalty area against 1874 Northwich
Share this article

Colne went up to third in the table with their ninth-successive league win with a 3-1 triumph at Runcorn Town on Monday night.

The Reds took time to settle as Runcorn had the better of the play early on but their usual passing through midfield began to create some good chances up front.

Chris Anderson almost put them ahead after 23 minutes when he shot wide after a great build up involving Danny Boyle and Spencer Jordan.

And Boyle was denied by a last-ditch tackle when Joe Garvin’s header released him on goal after 35 minutes.

But Colne’s tendency to take too many touches in the opposition area let Runcorn off the hook several times.

And at the other end, they threatened to make Colne pay when Sam Haughton blasted a shot just wide of the Reds goal from a clear opening.

With half-time approaching, a good run and cross by Adam Stockdale saw the ball half cleared from the Runcorn area but Simon Nangle picked up the loose ball and delivered a superb diagonal cross for Boyle to run on to and head into the roof of the net to give Colne the lead on 43 minutes.

As the first half went into injury time, Garvin found himself in the clear to the right of goal and his low cross from the bye-line gave Jordan the chance to fire home a shot on the turn to give the Reds a two-goal lead at the interval.

In the second half, Colne kept possession well without punishing Runcorn further as the final ball into the area was frequently cut out by the home defence.

And Runcorn again came close to reducing the arrears when Paul Shanley’s well struck free kick whistled inches past the far post.

Runcorn were reduced to 10 men on 73 minutes when Scott Beckett was sent off for a tackle from behind on Jordan.

But three minutes later, Runcorn were thrown a lifeline when Marc Young’s short back pass was picked up by Shanley and he slotted the ball into the net to reduce the arrears to 2-1.

Colne stepped up the pace in search of a third goal and Jordan fired home an angled shot from the left of goal to restore the two goal cushion after 79 minutes.

In the closing stages, the unfortunate Anderson picked up two yellow cards and got his marching orders from the referee to even up the numbers on each side.

But nevertheless Colne came out worthy winners.

On Saturday, Colne came away from fourth placed 1874 Northwich with a 4-1 win.

In an end-to-end first half, Colne always had the edge in midfield with Garvin and Nangle driving forward.

The breakthrough came just two minutes before the interval when Anderson’s through ball released Jordan and he found the net with a superb chip into the top corner.

The Reds had to defend at the start of the second halfy, but Colne increased their lead on the hour when Boyle broke clear to the right of goal and beat the keeper with a low shot into the far corner.

And after a smart exchange with Jordan, Boyle was felled from behind in the Northwich area and converted the resulting spot kick himself for the Reds’ third goal on 74 minutes.

Northwich struck back just three minutes later when a high free kick was headed home at the far post by Danny Thomas to make it 3-1.

But in injury time Brandon Barski broke on the left wing and supplied a low cross for Ted Cockett to fire home to round off an emphatic 4-1 win.

Tomorrow Colne travel to West Didsbury and Chorlton (kick-off 3 p.m.) before they travel to Ashton Athletic on Tuesday (kick-off 7-45 p.m.).