Reds shake off ring-rust in the reserves

Jason Hart scored four goals for Colne Reserves against Padiham
Jason Hart scored four goals for Colne Reserves against Padiham
Share this article

With Colne’s irst team game postponed earlier in the day at Winsford, and no games played for three weeks, manager Steven Cunningham choose to play a near first team in the Lancashire League Cup tie at Padiham.

Colne started on the offensive, and after three minutes Lee Pugh and Jason Hart linked well down the left, and Hart’s cross into the area saw new boy Ben Halfacre turn and hit the bar.

The Reds took the lead on 14 minutes when a long pass from Dom Craig released Hart down the left. He beat his defender, and his square ball into the area saw Kenny Taylor open his body and side foot into the bottom corner.

Three minutes later, Colne added to their lead when Taylor’s long cross into the six-yard box saw Halfacre challenge the keeper for the ball, and as it fell loose, he turned and slotted the ball into the open net.

The next chance fell to the home side as they won the ball in midfield and released Nathan Egan into the area, but as he bore down on goal, he shot past the far post. More good work down the left saw Colne extend their lead when, from a left wing corner, the ball was played short to Pugh, and his cross to the far post saw Taylor’s header down into the six-yard box swept home by Ben Hoskin.

On 36 minutes, Colne scored again when Si Nangle again released Hart, who beat the keeper to the ball, worked the ball wide left, and then deceived the defender on the line by tucking the ball into the bottom corner.

The Reds continued to dominate possession and chances, and hit five on 50 minutes when Kieran Demaine played an exquisite ball down the left to release Tom Berwick, who got to the dead ball line and floated the ball to the far post, where Halfacre headed home.

Two minutes later, Michael Morrison won the ball in mid-field and released an overlapping Hoskin, who took the ball from the halfway line, and as the keeper advanced, he dinked the ball over him, but past the far post.

Colne came on strong in the last quarter.

On 73 minutes, a midfield header released Spencer Jordan, who played the ball out right to Hoskin overlapping again, and his ball into the area was controlled by Hart and dispatched into the net.

The Reds made it 7-0 on 82 minutes when Taylor played in Danny Boyle down the left channel, and as he got to the bye-line, he played the ball back to Hart, who scored his hat-trick goal, tucking the ball into the bottom corner.

Two minutes later Colne made it 8-0 when substitute keeper Ben Nutter played the ball out to Taylor, whose quick ball into the area released Boyle, who bamboozled his defender before slotting the ball into the bottom corner.

The final goal of the game came on 88 minutes when an attack down the right saw Boyle cross into the area, and Hart scored his fourth, heading the ball into the far corner.

Colne hope to return to first team action at West Didsbury and Chorlton tomorrow.