Reds stay out in front after win at Alsager

Ben Allen in action for Colne at Alsager Town on Saturday (s).
Ben Allen in action for Colne at Alsager Town on Saturday (s).
Share this article

Colne continued their unbeaten run and went four points clear at the top of the league with a hard-fought 2-1 win at bottom placed Alsager on Saturday.

In the opening stages, it was Alsager who pushed forward. with Chris Smith linking with Tom Brown on the left wing to set up some good attacks.

But the Reds defence coped well and restricted the home side to long range shots which were off target.

As Colne began to settle, they created a series of chances with Ben Allen in the thick of the action, and Chris Anderson shot just wide of goal after a corner had been half cleared.

Alsager keeper Kristian Burzynski saw plenty of the ball as he made good saves from Anderson and Allen.

And he had a let-off when he parried Ben Hoskin’s shot to Spencer Jordan who got the ball stuck under his feet on the six-yard line.

The Reds made the breakthrough after 22 minutes when Hoskin’s diagonal free kick into the area was met on the run by Jason Hart to send a bullet header into the roof of the home net.

But underdogs Alsager fought for every ball and grabbed an equaliser just four minutes later when Jack Warren’s shot through a crowded area was deflected out of the reach of Chris Thompson and into the bottom corner.

Colne created a series of good chances before the interval but the home goal led a charmed life even when Hoskin’s cross rattled the far post with the keeper Burzynski clutching thin air.

The story continued in the second half with Simon Nangle shooting wide from a good chance and Lee Pugh’s shot deflected in the penalty area.

On the hour Danny Boyle was brought on from the subs bench.

And it was Boyle who restored Colne’s lead after 68 minutes when he picked up a half clearance 20 yards out and fired home through a crowded penalty area into the bottom corner of the net.

Steve Cunningham introduced Kenny Taylor and Kieran Demaine in the closing stages as Colne looked to secure the points, and Alsager battled to the finish in a tight game.

Tomorrow Colne are back in league action when they travel to Cammell Laird in Birkenhead with a 3 p.m. kick-off, before they visit AFC Blackpool on Tuesday night with a 7-45 p.m. kick-off.