Reds upset the odds to win at league leaders Prescot

Danny Wilkins bursts in to the Prescot penalty area
Danny Wilkins bursts in to the Prescot penalty area
Share this article

Colne produced a stunning performance to outplay top of the league Prescot Cables on their own ground on Saturday and take all three points from a well-deserved 2-0 win.

Second half goals by Lee Pugh and Alex Curran were enough to seal the win, but the scoreline might well have been more emphatic as the Reds created a host of chances in an end-to- end game.

Alex Curran in action against Prescot Cables

Alex Curran in action against Prescot Cables

Both sides tested each other out with some midfield play in the opening period, and Colne created their first real chance after 20 minutes when Curran released Danny Wilkins into the penalty area, but he lifted his shot over.

The Reds continued to probe the home defence, with Matty Morgan and Ollie Crankshaw finding room on the wings.

But Prescot came close on the half hour when Hakan Burton made a great save to push a shot over his crossbar.

And Burton was in action minutes later to clear another dangerous ball from his goalmouth as the home side pushed forward.

Jonathan Hodgkinson rises to head a corner at Prescot

Jonathan Hodgkinson rises to head a corner at Prescot

As play switched to the other end, a Colne corner was headed over by Jonathan Hodgkinson, and in the Reds next attack, Curran shot wide after going clear on Simon Nangle’s through ball.

But good defensive clearances by Chris Lynch were needed to keep Prescot at bay.

As the second half began, Colne pushed forward and got off to a great start after just three minutes when Morgan’s corner found Pugh in the area and he side-footed home through a crowded goalmouth to give the Reds the lead.

Prescot came back strongly and Chris Almond fired a shot over following his run into the area, before James Edgar curled a free kick over the bar from 20 yards minutes later.

A series of high balls into the Reds goalmouth were headed away by Hodgkinson, ably supported by Waqas Azam and Pugh.

And Colne caught Prescot on the break after 74 minutes. A perfectly-weighted diagonal ball from the right wing sent Curran on a solo run down the middle, outpacing defenders and rounding the keeper before slotting home.

As Prescot pressed forward, Colne again took advantage just four minutes later when Morgan broke on the right wing and his cross was knocked down by Bradley Knox for Crankshaw, but he shot straight at the keeper.

And another great chance came minutes later when Wilkins released Curran, but his shot was pushed away by the keeper.

Prescot threw everything at the Colne defence in the closing minutes, and Pugh’s great tackle halted Tunde Owolabi’s run in the area.

Cables came close when Edgar’s angled shot came back off the bar and Reece McNally also hit the bar as he followed up on Lynch’s headed clearance.

But Colne defended stubbornly to the final whistle to claim a memorable win.

Tomorrow, Colne are at home to Ramsbottom United with a 3 p.m. kick-off.