Ridehalgh at double as Barnoldswick Town end poor run with handsome victory

Sam Howell is challenged in Saturday's 2-1 defeat against AFC Blackpool
Sam Howell is challenged in Saturday's 2-1 defeat against AFC Blackpool

After three successive home defeats, Barnoldswick Town picked up their first win in front of their own fans on Tuesday night as theyu beat Squires Gate 4-0.

Town were without the injured Kieran Lee, but new signing Neil Stansfield from Padiham was plunged straight into the team.

And they took the lead after 14 minutes, as Matthew Cavanagh wriggled past a defender and pulled a cross back for Chris Ridehalgh to smash the ball past Ben Fletcher from six yards out.

Town began to run riot, creating a series of chances, but it took until six minutes from the break to add to their lead.

Sam Howell was put through just outside the area, and he took the ball on before easily slipping the ball past Fletcher.

With two minutes of the first half remaining, Danny Boyle, who had looked a threat throughout, was sent clear by Danny Morton, and he made no mistake to put Town three up.

Gate should have pulled one back just before the hour, as substitute Christopher Churchman crossed to the far post, where Jack Sowerby shot over when well placed.

Gate skipper Russell McKenna then fired over from close range before Churchman’s shot skimmed off the top of the bar.

This purple patch by the visitors ended when Town scored their fourth goal.

Boyle’s shot cannoned off Fletcher and Howell picked the ball up around the penalty spot and slipped the ball to Cavanagh, whose cross to the near post was hit home by Ridehalgh from three yards out

Howell later hit the woodwork with a fierce effort, but Town were up and running at the Silentnight Beds Stadium.

On Saturday, Barnoldswick went down 2-1 at home to AFC Blackpool.

Injuries robbed Town of nine players, with Lyle Davy taking over in goal from Billy Carrington.

Blackpool had the better openings in the first half hour, but Town took the lead on 38 minutes as Callum Smith won and play it into the path of Boyle, who drove an unstoppable shot into the top corner, giving Bobby Harris no chance.

Boyle and Billy Priestley came close to adding to the lead after the break, but on the hour, a contentious penalty was awarded for a Davy foul on Singleton, which James Walker slotting home to equalise.

Player manager Paul Fildes, a substitute, was then sent off for kicking out after being elbowed in the ribs by Blackpool’s Andrew Richards.

And Blackpool rubbed salt in the wound with a winning goal as Lloyd Balazs headed in from a corner.

Tomorrow Town are at Runcorn Town, before the derby at Colne on Wednesday night.