Sixth game without a win for Barnoldswick Town as Glossop steal the points

Bill Williams takes on Kyle Riley Picture: Peter Naylor
Bill Williams takes on Kyle Riley Picture: Peter Naylor

Town are now six games without a win, and it is 10 games since they had a full compliment of substitutes.

As Barnoldswick started a long run of successive home games, the pitch had dried out somewhat from the water that was on the surface on Friday.

The first threat of the match came in the seventh minute when Glossop fullback Alex Byrne crossed from the left to the far post, Bill Williams heading clear. Town replied and Mark Threlfall tried to slip Aaron Hollindrake in but the ball seemed to get trapped under his feet.

Glossop should have taken the lead after 13 minutes, as a cross from the left found Gavinlee Ellison unmarked in the six-yard box, but he put his header wide.

The game was then nip and tuck, with both teams unable to carve their way through.

But a chance fell to Town when Andrew Jones dropped the ball at the far post, and Carl Ellerton managed to get his foot to the ball, turning it goalwards, only for Glossop skipper David Young to hack it clear from almost on the line.

Another great chance came to Town with three minutes of the half left, Jake McEneaney firing a cross across goal, which Young half cleared straight to Harry Thompson around the penalty spot.

Thompson fired a shot straight back, but Kelvin Lugsden was alert to the threat, making a block.

Right on half-time Glossop had another chance when the league’s top scorer Tom Bailey curled a shot from the edge of the area just the wrong side of Billy Carrington’s post.

As was the case last week at Congleton, Town conceded straight after the restart.

The defence failed to clear, and the ball dropped at the feet of Kyle Riley, whose shot gave Carrington no chance as he hammered it into the far top corner.

A minutes later Matt Russell, the Glossop left back, was allowed to run to the edge of the penalty area, his shot curling just past the post.

Town pressed for an equaliser, and a clever free kick taken by substitute Connor Smith put Samuel Howell clear on the right, and as Jones advanced to close him down, he fired a shot past him towards goal, only for Andrew Kilheeney to clear off the line.

With Town pressing, they were open to quick counter attacks, and two minutes into injury time, Steven Williams broke free, and as Carrington challenged, the ball squirted to Bailey, who lifted it over him into the net.

Town host Alsager Town tomorrow, and Colne on Tuesday night.