Thompson seals win for Town in see-saw thriller

Town's Harry Thompson
Town's Harry Thompson
Share this article

Harry Thompson settled a seven-goal thriller in Town’s favour with a 78th-minute winner at AFC Liverpool on Saturday.

With Jordan Gidley still not able to take his place in goal, Bradley Garnett continued, with Liam Blades suspended after his sending off against Northwich Victoria.

Town raced into a 2-0 lead within 10 minutes.

After Garnett made a good save low down from Kevin Edgar, Joel Melia opened the scoring after three minutes.

The ball was picked up in midfield, and Melia finished off a quick counter attack.

And it was quickly 2-0 from a deep cross toward the back post, after another quick counter.

Striker Mark Threlfall rose above his marker and nodded home for Barnoldswick’s second.

Town had a let off after 25 minutes, as James Crorken tripped Danny Boden receiving a yellow card for his troubles, and Edgar fired the free kick under the wall but against the base of the post.

Chris Anderson tapped in the rebound but was flagged off-side.

AFC Liverpool kept believing and got their reward through Edgar.

The Reds worked the ball into the final third, and Edgar rounded off a good move with a powerful finish.

AFC Liverpool equalised only two minutes later after some superb play from winger Leon Arnasalam.

Following a clearance out wide, Arnasalam won an aerial duel , turned his man and was off down the touchline, before cutting inside tand finding Danny Boden, who placed the ball neatly in the bottom corner.

The second half started as the first ended, with the Reds on the front foot, but Barnoldswick defended well and moved through the thirds with pace and intent.

Melia was the creative outlet for the visitors and he turned provider, setting up Jack Overson to put Barnoldswick back in front safter 51 minutes.

Edgar fired a shot wide of the far post, before the Reds levelled with 14 minutes remaining.

They won possession in midfield and sent Boden away, and he created an angle for himself and slotted the ball under Garnett.

But Town scored the decisive goal just two minutes later through Thompson.

Boden was sent off at the death, as Town held on to their lead for a big three points to lift them to ninth in the table.

Town are at home to Winsford United tomorrow, with kick-off at 3 p.m. at the Silentnight Stadium.