Thompson strikes late leveller against basement side Wigan

Town's Kieran Lee in action
Town's Kieran Lee in action
Share this article

Barnoldswick Town..............2

Wigan Robin Park..................2

Town, again missing key players, were held at home to basement side Wigan on Saturday.

Paul Fildes was without Aaron Hollindrake, Kieran Fletcher and Chris Ridehalgh, with James Nettleton having returned to Silsden.

New signing Ben Lloyd was on the bench.

The first chance fell to the visitors, keeper Lyle Davy miscuing a clearance straight to Wigan skipper Craig Haynes, but his hurried attempt was way off target.

Town won a corner just after the quarter of an hour mark, Bill Williams climbing to head goal wards, and the ball ran free towards the Wigan goal, with Connor Smith’s clever back heel going just the wrong side of the post.

The first goal came after 25 minutes. It was the first time either side had strung any sort of passing movement together, as Dean Midgely latched onto the ball just outside the area and sent a blistering right foot shot past the flailing left hand of Davy.

A minute later and it should probably have been two, as Midgley managed to get onto the end of a Kyle Hynes cross but put his header wide.

Town’s best chance of the half came when Kieran Lee picked the ball up out wide and broke into the area, forcing Lever to dive full length to save his shot at the foot of the post.

At the start of the second half, Town tried very hard to get back on level terms, and Harry Thompson’s shot was blocked by Bowes-Broadfoot.

Thompson was prominent again on the hour, as he threaded a pass through to Lee, and his cross to the far post was headed back into the path of Smith by Mark Threlfall, but from six yards out he was unable to capitalise.

Town did equalise after 66 minutes, Thompson letting fly from outside the area, Lever badly fumbling the ball allowing it to drop weakly over his shoulder into the net.

But Wigan were back in front a minute later, Midgley scoring an even better goal with his left foot as it screamed into the top right hand corner of Davy’s net.

As the match moved into injury time, pressure began to build on the Wigan defence, which finally cracked,

Lee put the ball across the six-yard box, and it broke invitingly to Thompson, who gleefully smashed the ball home equalising.

More was to come as substitute Joel Melia broke clear six minutes into injury time past Christopher Morris, who had no option but to pull him down.

As he had been booked previously, the referee brandished a second yellow then a red card.

There was still time for one last Town assault on the Wigan goal, Melia hooking the ball goal wards but seeing it drift inches past the far post.

With no game tomorrow, hopefully the Town walking wounded can recover ready for the trip to Ashton Athletic.