Town drop into bottom two as Bacup hang on for a point

Martin Broderick challenges Scott Mason.  Picture: Peter Naylor
Martin Broderick challenges Scott Mason. Picture: Peter Naylor

Barnoldswick Town ended a run of six defeats, but their relegation worries were not eased by a goal-less draw at home to bottom side Bacup and Rossendale Borough on Tuesday night.

On a night when AFC Blackpool beat St Helens Town 2-1 to leapfrog the locals, Town slipped to next bottom.

Town started well, winning three corners in the first 10 minutes.

But Bacup replied with Glodi Kuba-Kuba heading a cross straight at Chris Taylor.

Midway through the first half, Joel Melia fed the ball to Scott Byrom, but he pulled his shot wide.

After 35 minutes, Bryan sent Kuba-Kuba through, but his shot was straight at Taylor.

Immediately after the restart, Byrom went on a great run before curling a shot inches wide of Callum Jakovlevs’ left hand post.

And after a mix-up between Matthew Cavanagh and Taylor let Bacup skipper Adrian Bellamy in, Taylor rescued the situation, blocking his shot.

Then Mark Threlfall’s shot bounced off Jakovlevs’ chest and ran loose.

Just before the hour mark Martin Broderick picked the ball up 30 yards out and unleashed a fierce shot that hit the top of Jakovlevs’ left hand post before he could move.

James Crorken then released Melia into the penalty area but he blazed wide.

It was all Town, Cavanagh heading a Threlfall cross over, while Jake McEneaney fired a shot just wide.

With six minutes left, Bacup had a chance, when Matthew Maine broke clear and played Bellamy in, but Taylor was quick off his line to block.

At the other end, Byrom fired a shot from the edge of the area that skimmed the top of the bar and went over, but Town had to settle for a point.

On Saturday, they went down 3-2 at West Didsbury and Chorlton.

Didsbury took the lead on 14 minutes when a corner was half cleared, and the ball was flighted towards the far post where the unmarked Chris McDonagh easily scored.

Two minutes into the second half Anthony Pollard brought Scott Mason down inside the area, the winger picking himself up to send Taylor the wrong way.

Didsbury won another penalty after 56 minutes, this time Taylor guessed right and palmed Mason’s spot-kick back across his goal, where McDonagh had a tap in.

Town pulled one back on 68 minutes as Aaron Hollindrake got up well to head past Hitchen inside the far post.

And with 16 minutes remaining, Broderick hit a terrific shot from 30 yardsinto the top corner.

Unfortunately Didsbury held out for a deserved win.

Tomorrow Town host 1874 Northwich in the Men United Cup.