Town hit five at home as they bounce back in style

Joel Melia has as shot on goal.
Joel Melia has as shot on goal.

Barnoldswick Town bounced back from defeat at home to Bootle on Saturday by thumping West Didsbury and Chorlton at the Silentnight Beds Stadium on Tuesday night.

On Saturday, Town led 2-0, only for Tom Peterson’s hat-trick to hand Bootle victory.

But on Tuesday, with the sides level at 1-1 at thebreak, Stewart Airdrie’s side overpowered West Didsbury and Chorlton 5-2, scoring three times in nine minutes.

Harry Thompson gave Town a 17th-minute lead, only for Steven Settle to level matters nine minutes before the interval.

Matthew McNamara made it 2-1 just before the hour, prompting a goal rush, as Anthony Pollard and Bill Williams also found the net.

Matthew Zajac pulled one back 12 minutes from time, but Mark Threlfall completed the scoring from the spot with seven minutes remaining.

On Saturday, Town stormed into a two-goal lead within the opening half hour, but the Bucks came back to claim the points thanks to Peterson’s treble.

Bootle had the first opening as Peterson’s corner was met by Billy Smart, whose first time shot was brilliantly blocked on the line by Town keeper Christopher Taylor.

Town took the lead on 20 minutes as Joel Melia advanced down the Bootle right, before cutting inside and unleashing a powerful shot which was parried by Dean Porter, and Aaron Hollindrake tucked the rebound into the bottom corner.

Nine minutes later Barnoldswick doubled their lead as Melia drove at the Bootle defence before cutting inside and beating Porter with an unerring low drive.

But five minutes before the break, Bootle halved the deficit when Chris Lowe found Peterson, who turned and unleashed a low drive from 25 yards out, which found the bottom corner via the post.

The visitors started the second half brightly, and their pressure paid off on 67 minutes when Jamie Hay’s long ball found Peterson, who advanced into the box and smashed an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net.

And Bootle went on to score a winner with eight minutes remaining.

Sam Howell handled Conor Christiansen’s cross, and Peterson stepped up and sent Taylor the wrong to compete his hat-trick.

Barnoldswick are without a game this weekend, but the reserves are at New Mills tomorrow, and host AFC Darwen in the Reserve Division Trophy Group A (North) on Wednesday.