Town knocked out of cup at home after earning replay

Sam Howell's shot flies past Andy Hunter for the equaliser.
Sam Howell's shot flies past Andy Hunter for the equaliser.
Share this article

Barnoldswick Town remain without an FA Cup win since entering the competition after losing their extra preliminary round replay 2-0 at home to Hebburn Town on Tuesday night.

The sides drew 2-2 on Saturday, and both made a cagey start at the Silentnight Beds Stadium.

Chris Ridehalgh fired over, before he saw an effort cleared off the line by Chris Smith.

Adam Hayton curled shot just the wrong side of the post, but Town began to slowly lose their way.

The half finished with Hebburn on the attack, Billy Carrington making a point blank save to keep Martin Roper out.

Town fell behind after 51 minutes, as Danny Morton slipped, allowing Dan Smith to collect the ball and lift it over Carrington’s head.

Hebburn were easily containing Town, and to try to change things a treble substitution took place on 66 minutes, Danny Boyle, Callum Smith and Samuel Howell enterting the fray.

The change didn’t have the desired effect and Carrington was forced into two brilliant saves to deny Roper.

Howell brought a diving save out of Andy Hunter as he tipped his shot round the post for a corner, and from the corner Billy Priestley failed to make contact with the ball two yards out when any contact would have delivered a goal.

Roper drew two more brilliant saves from Carrington, but a minute later, after the ball should have been cleared, Roper did get Hebburn’s second goal, a goal he richly deserved.

It was a poor performance from Town after they probably shaded the first match.

The hosts went ahead a Town defender upended Hebburn’s Smith just outside the area, and Steven Graham calmly stroked the ball round the wall into the far corner.

After 20 minutes, a corner saw Ridehalgh find Andy Lee, who in turn fed Howell, who struck an unstoppable shot from a tight angle past Hunter.

Morton’s powerful shot thudded against the top of Hunter’s left upright, before Town took the lead on 38 minutes. Howell’s cross was picked up by Danny Boyle, who shifted the ball past Hunter and thumped his shot past the defenders on the line.

Hebburn came out after the interval looking for the equaliser, and it came when Paul Robinson’s free kick cleared against Ben Johnson and in by Carrington.

Town are at AFC Liverpool tomorrow before hosting St Helens Town on Tuesday.