Town run riot as they halt Widnes’ long unbeaten run

Ben Gorman forces in the opening goal'''''Pictures: Peter Naylor
Ben Gorman forces in the opening goal'''''Pictures: Peter Naylor
Share this article

Barnoldswick Town emphatically brought Widnes’ 18-match unbeaten league run to an end with a 6-1 win at the Silentnight Stadium on Saturday.

The expected overnight rain thankfully did not materialise, so the game was given the go ahead after a morning inspection.

Aaron Hollindrake scores Town's sixth goal

Aaron Hollindrake scores Town's sixth goal

Town started the better of the two teams, with, perhaps, the heavy pitch was not to the liking of the visitors, who play on an artificial pitch.

A great ball in the first minute over the top of the Widnes defence saw Zack Dale race away one on one with keeper Richard Mottram, who forced Dale wide of his near post, forcing the striker to shoot into the side-netting.

Town were full of attacking ideas and took the lead after 23 minutes, as Dale put a cross in towards the penalty area.

Mottram and Aaron Hollindrake both went for the ball, the keeper spilled it as they made contact with each other, and Ben Gorman won the race with Mottram and two defenders to open the scoring.

Three minutes later, a Dale cross found Andrew Hill hovering just inside the corner of the penalty area, and he caught the ball perfectly, sending a rocket of a shot past Mottram, who could only watch as the ball flew past him.

The Widnes players started to argue with each other, and left gaps out wide for the Town forwards to exploit really at will.

It was no surprise just past the half hour mark when skipper James Crorken scored with a sweet left foot shot from just outside the area, low inside Mottram’s right hand post.

To compound matters Mottram made a huge mistake three minutes later when he allowed the ball to slip through his fingers on the edge of his penalty area.

Hollindrake was quick to react, picking the ball up and walking it into the net.

Dale was unlucky not to make it five as he got clear on the left – his shot beat Mottram but cannoned back off the inside of the far post.

He picked the rebound up but was unable to put the ball into the net as he was tackled by two defenders.

Widnes were forced to make two substitutions at the start of the second half, Jay Roberts and George Lomax, who were both injured, being replaced by Jack Banister and Ben Hodkinson.

If the visitors were hoping to get back in the game, Dale put paid to that, as again he cut in on the Widnes left, and this time his shot across Mottram nestled in the far corner to put Town five up after 48 minutes.

Widnes did have their chances; Ben Hodkinson saw a shot clip the top of Jordan Gidley’s crossbar after 60 minutes, having had a goal ruled out for off-side.

They did pull a goal back a minute later, Michael Grogan scoring from the edge of the area with a low shot past Gidley.

But Town’s five goal advantage was restored three minutes later when Hollindrake scored from three yards out.

It was a great win for Town, but their home game on Easter Monday againstPadiham, as well as Wednesday night’s game with 1874 Northwich.

Tomorrow they are at Hanley Town, and on Tuesday Town host Ashton Athletic.