Town take Dunston to replay before exit

Mark Cook gets a hand to Joseph Gaughan's penalty but is unable to keep it out
Mark Cook gets a hand to Joseph Gaughan's penalty but is unable to keep it out
Share this article

Barnoldswick Town exited the FA Cup after an extra preliminary round replay at Dunston UTS on Tuesday night.

Town had recovered from two goals down with 11 minutes remaining on Saturday to snatch a 2-2 draw at the Silentnight Stadium.

But they were beaten 4-0 in the replay in the north east, after an arduous 200-plus mile journey through rush hour traffic.

On Saturdayy, Town started well, but fell behind to Dunston’s first attack as Oli Leedham advanced towards the box and unleashed a shot which keeper Jordan Gidley could only parry into the path of Liam Thear, who side-footed in at the far post.

Jonathan Hodgkinson had a shot cleared off the line by Jack Ashton as Town looked for an equaliser, and both sides had openings before the break.

In the second half, Barnoldswick thought they had equalised as Harry’s Thompson’s effort was parried by Mark Cook to Mark Threlfall, who forced the ball home from two yards only to be ruled offside.

Dunston doubled their lead on 67 minutes as Thear and Malcolm Morien combined, with the latter shooting past Gidley.

With 11 minutes remaining, the referee handed Town a penalty as Pearson blocked a shot from close range with his hand, and Thompson made no mistake from the spot.

And two minutes from time, Hodgkinson ran half the length of the field before being tackled by Dan Smith, and the ball fell to Aaron Hollingdrake, who shot from 22 yards past.

Ben Gorman might have won it for Town, but he headed wide from two yards out at the back post.

In the replay, Town started as they had finished, as Hodgkinson had a header cleared off the line by Ashton.

Mark Coyne and Joe Gaughan went close to a second, but four minutes before the break, the hosts went in front as James Luccock’s cross fell to Morien, who fired home from 10 yards out.

In the second half, a powerful Morien header from a corner struck the bar and went over.

Dunston settled their nerves on 69 minutes as Leedham received a ball from Luccock eight yards out and slotted home.

Two minuteslater Richie Slaugher’s 25-yard shot struck Luccock on the back and deflected into the net.

Leedham hit the post with 16 minutes remaining, and Morien saw the rebound cleared off the line.

However Leedham would not be denied as he fired into an empty net from eight yards as Gidley fumbled a cross to make it 4-0 to Dunston – a score which somewhat flattered the home side.

Town open their Hallmark Security League Premier Division campaign tomorrow when they travel to the Marine Travel Arena to face AFC Liverpool, kick-off 3 p.m.

And on Wednesday night, they are again on their travels as they face AFC Darwen at the WEC Group Anchor Ground, kick-off 7-45 p.m.