Two wins and clean sheets for Colne with Hart on goal trail

Micky Woodvine celebrates his goal at Alsager
Micky Woodvine celebrates his goal at Alsager
Share this article

After Saturday’s 4-0 win at Alsager,Colne picked up their second win in five days at home to Abbey Hey on Wednesday night.

The Reds made an enterprising start against Abbey Hey at the XLCR Stadium.

But they began to concede possession in midfield and had to thank Chris Thompson for a vital save after 20 minutes when Sam Jones slipped through the defence and saw his shot blocked.

Three minutes later, Colne took the lead when Thompson’s long ball down the field fell perfectly for Jason Hart to round the keeper and slot into the empty net.

Within five minutes, Thompson’s defensive skills were needed again when Thomas Murray looked a certain scorer until the Colne keeper claimed the ball at his feet on the six-yard line.

Colne were happy to hear the half-time whistle as the game seemed to be swinging the visitors’ way, but in the second half, they competed more strongly in midfield and Stevie Cassidy was unlucky to see his shot blocked by defenders.

The Reds came close again minutes later when Hart’s long cross was met by Mickey Saunders but his goal-bound header was pushed round the far post.

After 69 minutes, Paddy O’Brien’s pinpoint through ball released Cassidy into the area but his shot was saved.

A minute later, Saunders evaded several tackles in midfield before finding O’Brien on the left wing, and O’Brien fired a shot from the tightest of angles into the far corner.

Abbey Hey competed strongly to the end but still found Thompson in unbeatable form and he again showed his class, claiming the ball in a one-on-one at the feet of Kwame Barnett.

Colne earned a resounding win at Alsager on Saturday.

The Reds took the lead after 18 minutes when Hart hit a great shot on the turn from 22 yards into the bottom corner of the net.

And six minutes later, from a corner, the ball was only half cleared and Saunders reacted first to fire home in a crowded goalmouth.

In the second half, Colne added a third goal after just three minutes when Micky Woodvine knocked the ball forward from midfield and Hart nipped past a hesitant defender before slipping the ball home.

Colne added a fourth goal after 70 minutes when Woodvine teed the ball up before striking a 25 yard volley that dipped past the keeper and into the corner of the net.

Tomorrow Colne are at AFC Darwen in the second round of the North West Counties League Challenge Cup, kic- off 3 p.m.

On Monday, Colne Reserves are at home to Curzon Ashton Reserves, kick-off 7-45 p.m.