Unbeaten Colne take over at top of the table

Jason Hart receiving the Premier Division Player of the Month award for August from North West Counties League Secretary John Deal
Jason Hart receiving the Premier Division Player of the Month award for August from North West Counties League Secretary John Deal
Share this article

Colne went top of the NWC Premier Division after a 4-1 win at home to AFC Liverpool on Saturday – and consolidated their position with a similar win at Squires Gate on Tuesday night.

On the coast, the Reds virtually tied the points up with three goals in six minutes midway through the first half, to leave their opponents chasing the ball for the rest of the game.

After 29 minutes, a long ball up the left wing released Jason Hart on a run that took him past the keeper, and he slotted home from the narrowest of angles to give Colne the lead.

Four minutes later, Lee Pugh’s corner found Michael Morrison’s head in the six-yard box, and when his close range effort was headed off the line, Marc Young followed up to head in the loose ball.

With the Reds in the ascendancy, Ben Allen added the third goal just two minutes later when he robbed a home defender and blasted home a piledriver off the keeper’s gloves.

In the second half, Squires Gate came more into the game, and Jack Cook forced a good save from Chris Thompson.

And after 63 minutes, Billy McKenna’s cross-shot hit the far post before rebounding to safety.

As Squires Gate continued to compete for every ball, they reduced the deficit after 71 minutes when Ashley Rowley fired a shot into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

In the closing stages however, the Reds began to create more chances and Gate keeper Ben Fletcher made some good saves. But he was powerless to keep out Dom Craig’s well-struck diagonal shot into the far corner in injury time after

Kenny Taylor had created the chance with some tireless running on the left wing.

On Saturday, Colne enjoyed a similarly convincing win over AFC Liverpool at the XLCR Stadium.

The Reds took the lead after 13 minutes when Spencer Jordan turned home Simon Nangle’s low cross.

The Reds doubled their lead on the hour when Danny Boyle slipped through into the area and rounded the keeper to slot home their second goal.

Eight minutes later Colne were pegged back when Steve Jones fired a 20-yard shot into the top corner of the net to reduce the deficit to 2-1.

The Reds pressed forward looking to restore their advantage, and after 75 minutes Boyle’s run and cross gave Spencer Jordan the opening to sweep home their third goal from 10 yards out.

Two minutes later, Colne went further ahead when Ben Hoskin provided a through ball for Boyle to score with an angled shot inside the far post.

Tomorrow Colne travel to Alsager Town.