Union maintain their lead at the top!

editorial image
Share this article

AN injury time winner from James Thornton was enough for Union to secure maximum points against Pendle Forest Athletic and maintain their four-point lead at the top of the Pendle Charity League Premier Division.

Earlier, Ben Thurston gave Union the lead, but Joe Birney equalised.

An 8-0 victory for Sacred Heart against Graham Engineering Redskins kept their title hopes alive, with s hat-trick from Neill Kelly, a brace from Matthew Aspinall and goals from Ben Toms, Joe Kelly and David Potts.

Life FC’s impressive season continued following promotion from the First Division. A hat-trick from substitute Mateusz Kapica and a strike from Haroon Afzal helped them to a 4-2 win against Paak A. Alash Ajmal and Awais Butt replied.

Following a slow start to the season, Weston recorded their third consecutive league victory with a 9-3 win against Paak B. Abdul Sitar (2) and Umar Farooq scored for Paak.

In the First Division, Trawden opened up a 12 point lead at the top of the table following a 6-1 win against AFC Veterans to maintain their 100% record. Tom Farthing, Adam Birkett, Ben Gorman and Tom Swindells were on target for Trawden, the others own goals.

Timmy Ts moved up to second place in the table after beating Marsden Cross 3-1. A brace from Scott Barlow and a goal from Johnny Thompson maintained their promotion ambitions. Daniel Wilcox scored Marsden’s consolation.

Pendle Blues moved up to fourth place following a 3-2 win against Crooked Billet. Two goals from Jordan Hadfield and Matthew Hesmondhalgh helped them to victory.

In the only other First Division match, Pendle Blues Athletic and Golden Ball shared four goals. Athletic fought back from a 2-0 half-time deficit to gain a point thanks to Lee Denton and Daniel Allott.

Lord Nelson recorded their first league victory of the season in the Second Division but remain rooted to the foot of the table. A brace from Andy Hakin and a strike from Dave Edmondson helped the Nelson based side to a 3-1 win against Shooters Clarets. Michael Wood scored Shooters’ consolation.

Colne Town moved to within four points of leaders Lanway after beating TSB 3-2. James Hall, Adam Hartley and James Holmes scored for Town, while Matthew Hoggarth and Adam Blackburn were on target for TSB. Sacred Heart Celtic remain a point behind following a 2-0 win against Barnoldswick Barons. Lee Cooper and a late second from Levi Whiteoak gave Celtic the points.

SKK Blacko beat Colne Cougars 5-2. A brace from Antony Hartley and goals from Andrew Graham, James Dent and Chris Gregory secured the points. James Brookes and Sean Thompson scored for Cougars.